• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bleach - Hydrogen Peroxide

Mark Webb

Can I use household bleach to dip wood into to kill ingrown algae? If so what dose in a bucket of water. Or should I go with Hydrogen Peroxide. Again what dose in a bucket?

if your talking about algae on something like glassware or a diffuser then i just get an old mug (or similar) and put some household bleach in and warm water and leave it for a day. i then wash it out and soak it in water and change the water for fresh when i remember! :lol:

depends what you want to bleach? obviously i wouldnt put it in the tank :lol:

Yep, you can use whatever concentration you like of either if you are cleaning ornaments. You just have to be sure that you wash the residue away...

Cheers,

Thanks. Want to clean algae from a piece of wood so would household bleach be ok on that? I am thinking that maybe the wood would absorb it and leach it back into the tank?

you could use a very weak solution and then soak it for a while after.

if in doubt, you could soak it and then test the water to see what water is present, im sure bleach leached into water must show up on a test kit some way? like a rise or dip in PH or high ammonia?

Why go through all that trouble? Use as strong a solution as you want. Wash the wood thoroughly with clean water afterwards and get on with it. No need to turn wood cleaning into an elaborate science project. If in doubt, isn't that why they invented Dechlorinator, which everyone is so in love with?

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Why go through all that trouble? Use as strong a solution as you want. Wash the wood thoroughly with clean water afterwards and get on with it. No need to turn wood cleaning into an elaborate science project. If in doubt, isn't that why they invented Dechlorinator, which everyone is so in love with?

Cheers,

I agree.

Whenever I've performed a bleach dip I put a double dose of dechlorinator (probably unnecessary but I'm the worrier type) into the tank when I return the plant / ornament

Back