• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bleach Stains?

Fuzzy Shaq

Hi, hope everyone is well. I've got a issue regarding my clothes developing bleach like stains on my clothing? I notice it especially the day after a weekly water change. Hoping some chemists could help me know the cause.
I'm using Seachem Prime, Liquid carbon daily (Easy Carbo), dry EI ferts (potassium phosphate, magnesium sulphate, potassium chloride and micro mix) and injecting Co2.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

The offending substance would only need to be strong enough to lightly dissolve the dye used in your clothes is my guess.
Im not a chemist but I would be suspecting the Liquid Carbon (glutaraldehyde) or Seachem Prime (something similar to Sodium thiosulphate + a few additives (EDTA?), before I would suspect the ferts.
We could tag the half blood prince, @X3NiTH who is our resident chemist / wizard

Thanks @Hufsa All my nice summer clothes are ruined 🙈. Now I know not to use new clothes when carrying out a water change

Thanks @dw1305 for letting me know. I'll quit dosing the glutaraldehyde Darrel. Hopefully no more bleach stains 😂

You could test each of the suspect substances on an undamaged area of one of the ruined garments.
Lol... Sometimes you come home knackered from a 12hr shift and think 🤔 "hey, why don't folk just run a quick test." So hey presto.

Let the scientific experiment begin.
Materials used: Cotton from an old pair of underpants, a syringe, seachem prime and easy carbo.
Method: add two drops of each liquid to trusty undercrackers, sit back and see what happens.

Let the contestants enter the ring.
20220825_191323.jpg

20220825_192543.jpg

Test material.
20220825_191454.jpg

Let's add a few drops.
20220825_191623.jpg
20220825_192036.jpg
20220825_192701.jpg
20220825_192720.jpg

And hang up to dry.
20220825_192848.jpg

Glutaraldehyde is the top spot, prime lower down.
Will report back with the results. 😀

Haha cheers guys.

So here's the results for bleaching/staining ability.
Seachem prime: nil points.
Glutaraldehyde: quatre points.
20220825_223245.jpg

This photo was taken 3hrs later, piece of cloth looks exactly the same this morning.

I can't tell where the prime was added, its had zero effect. The glutaraldehyde hasn't bleached the fabric, but it has stained it ever so slightly, almost looks like a grease stain.

I also took the liberty of testing my macro solution.
20220825_195716.jpg

This left a noticeable white ring which I assume is the salts left behind after evaporation. Also worth noting the op was dosing dry salts, so this probably wouldn't apply.
20220825_223854.jpg

So what have we learned?
I've no idea what bleached the op's clothes.

Oxidisers bleach clothing as Darrel has already mentioned, some fabrics may be more affected than others for instance synthetics like polyester, nylon etc or whether organic like cotton, hemp, etc, some dyes are more fast on certain fabrics. You also have to take into consideration if there is any detergent or fabric softener residues remaining on clothing being able to interact with compounds you are using and causing bleaching. There’s too many variables to pin down exactly what’s happening.

:)

Oxidisers bleach clothing as Darrel has already mentioned, some fabrics may be more affected than others for instance synthetics like polyester, nylon etc or whether organic like cotton, hemp, etc, some dyes are more fast on certain fabrics. You also have to take into consideration if there is any detergent or fabric softener residues remaining on clothing being able to interact with compounds you are using and causing bleaching. There’s too many variables to pin down exactly what’s happening.
Yess, I think we need more underpants of various types to really get to the bottom of this.
Also, did they use the same liquid carbon?
For science!

I never thought I would say this but you got any old knickers laying around @MirandaB ? 😂

Its for science I promise

I feel we’re slipping into dangerous territory now - I physically held back from suggesting @John q now submits his special ‘weekend’ nylon underwear to the test, given @X3NiTH’s post - for some reason I can’t get the image of Alan Partridge’s dream sequence out of my head! 🙈

Back