• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blixa japonica - tell me about it

andyh

Hi

I would like to draw from the experience of UKAPS?

What conditions work best with Blixa japonica? Light, CO2, Nutrients etc? I am planning a new scape and was looking to include this plant.

Blyxa loves co2 and medium to high light. Loves Po4 too, which tends to bring out the flowers. 2x24w over a 60cm is a great start, but mine loved the extra kick of another 24w bulb after a month or so.

cheers james

exactly the info i was looking for! :thumbup:

Watch it closely at the start bud, as Blyxa tend to melt really bad in transit and when introduced to its new home. No livestock at this stage will allow you to really up the co2 helping the plant recover and root in :thumbup:

Hi Andy,i can only second what james has said,you saw it in my setup last week and it does well and i dont do anything special,it has 2 54w tubes for eight hrs + a boost of another 2 54w tubes for 1 1/2 hrs,it gets lots of co2 plus easy carbo and thats it,since the cold weather i have been doing water changes every 6 weeks with no noticable differance to plants and fish,obviously the size of the tank makes thing very stable,
regards john,

saintly said:
A weed once established.

osaka29-08.jpg

It really loves CO2 and grows like mad with it unfortunately my gas ran out about a month ago and due christmas and birthdays I couldn't afford another cylinder and it has melted away to about 1 plant. But I do have some in another tank with doesn't have co2 and its growing quitealong nicely.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Loads of useful info.

TDI dan, how you doing mate! 6-7 water changes per yr? I suspose thats ok when you have over 500l ! Why so little?

Back