• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bloodfin Tetra

jameson_uk

Does anyone keep bloodfin tetras? (The normal ones not the glass ones)

Just interested in photos of them once they have settled in, what areas of the tank they occupy and how they cope with flow.

The Seriously Fish profile + Aquarium Glaser comment re variable coloration - and especially the SF profile response - should give a decent idea :)

I’d want to keep them in at least a 90cm long tank though, they are active swimmers given space to move

The Seriously Fish profile + Aquarium Glaser comment re variable coloration - and especially the SF profile response - should give a decent idea :)
The Seriously Fish profile is a little vague... I tend to use their parameters over anywhere else but I find there is lots of detail of where they originate from in the wild and reproduction but not a great amount on how they are in the tank (not really sure what they can say though which is why I was looking for experiences of anyone who has kept them :D)

For Aquarium Glaser the only page I can find is this which just says bred ones are uniform and wilds vary a lot?

I’d want to keep them in at least a 90cm long tank though, they are active swimmers given space to move
Tank is 1m long so that isn't a problem. I am down to my last three black neon tetras and I am left with almost all bottom dwellers. I am looking at some combination of bumping their numbers, adding bloodfin tetras and / or neon dwarf rainbowfish just can't make a decision :rolleyes:

Hi all,
Aphyocharax anisitsi
They are an "old-fashioned" fish, good all around but don't like it too warm.

I think they went out of fashion when people had more reliable heating and understood water management better, allowing them to keep more "difficult" and colorful fish.

I've never kept A. rathbuni, but they are prettier, and I believe non-problematic.

cheers Darrel

Both “bloodfin species” are pretty standard fare in local shops
(A rathbuni are more suited to community tanks, and must second the “prettier’ ;) )

I find A anisitsi on the large size for the tanks I keep (have seen some substantial specimens that were brought in by moving etc hobbyists), from shop observations, they inhabit the whole tank (even in a 90cm x 60cm x 45cm high)

I suspect shoals of both black neons and bloodfins would be OK, but would keep suitable numbers of each, and establish the black neons first, or begin with juvenile bloodfins

If you want to leave just the 3 black neons, I’d add small juvenile neon rainbows or bloodfins (whichever you choose)
FWIW I don’t see the black neons really shoaling long term with with the A anisitsi or dwarf rainbows (which can vary considerably in temperament - ranging from relatively mild to nasty aggressive to other fish - after a mortality experience with the latter, I don’t recommend them for general community tanks)

Dwarf neon rainbows are lovely fish but you’ll struggle to find decent stock. I have had the same issue in the past as @alto where they only last a few months. If you can get decent stock from a verified bloodline go for it, if not I’d give them a miss.

The blood fins are pretty much bullet proof and A.Rathbuni would be a good choice. They look great once settled in.

Cheers

Conor

Have Kept both, and they prefer to swim mid to top levels.
Yes they prefer cooler waters below 22 degrees. Not fussy eaters, will take most foods.
A very fast fish that will dart across the tank quickly as a group. Very fast at feeding time shooting towards the surface to grab the food.

Dwarf neon rainbows are lovely fish but you’ll struggle to find decent stock. I have had the same issue in the past as @alto where they only last a few months. If you can get decent stock from a verified bloodline go for it, if not I’d give them a miss.
When I started out the tank I had 10 but these dropped off one by one over several months. This is another thing to consider as the rainbows are relatively expensive (since lockdown I think LFS has bumped the price up to something like £15 for two ) but I have seen some better looking stock at a shop about an hour away which are three for £9 but are pretty small. Tempted to order some from Sweet Knowle Aquatics if I do get some( (which look to be £24.75 for six)

I have been looking at the bloodfins as they seem pretty suited to my hard water and look like they school / shoal more than others. (Even when I had a lot more black neons they never really shown any interest in each other). They also seem pretty active fish to add some movement to the tank.

The bloodfins look quite nice when you see pictures like this
73efc503f5cb09ef198752f8b0309370.jpg

But I suspect this isn't typical and is more likely the lighting or Photoshop editing. Other photos seem a bit more silver with red fin tips and others look just silver with very little red (which is how they look in the shop)

I think they can look like that, but perhaps not when they're in hard water. I advise a RO unit or collect rainwater.

I have A. rathbuni and the red in their fins really pops out, especially with the more dominant specimens. I imagine it isn't any different with A. anisitsi.

I think they can look like that, but perhaps not when they're in hard water. I advise a RO unit or collect rainwater.

I have A. rathbuni and the red in their fins really pops out, especially with the more dominant specimens. I imagine it isn't any different with A. anisitsi.

I initially started looking at bloodfins as everything I have read suggests they are hard water fish and wouldn't do too well in soft water.

When I started out the tank I had 10 but these dropped off one by one over several months. This is another thing to consider as the rainbows are relatively expensive (since lockdown I think LFS has bumped the price up to something like £15 for two ) but I have seen some better looking stock at a shop about an hour away which are three for £9 but are pretty small. Tempted to order some from Sweet Knowle Aquatics if I do get some( (which look to be £24.75 for six)

I have been looking at the bloodfins as they seem pretty suited to my hard water and look like they school / shoal more than others. (Even when I had a lot more black neons they never really shown any interest in each other). They also seem pretty active fish to add some movement to the tank.

The bloodfins look quite nice when you see pictures like this
73efc503f5cb09ef198752f8b0309370.jpg

But I suspect this isn't typical and is more likely the lighting or Photoshop editing. Other photos seem a bit more silver with red fin tips and others look just silver with very little red (which is how they look in the shop)
I think they can look like that quite easily, I see some in a lfs the other day and they weren’t far off of that. So once indoors settled in your home aquarium they should look even better.

Cheers

Conor

I initially started looking at bloodfins as everything I have read suggests they are hard water fish and wouldn't do too well in soft water.

Where'd you find such info?

They are from the Paraná river where the water is relatively soft and slightly acidic.

Where'd you find such info?

They are from the Paraná river where the water is relatively soft and slightly acidic.
As these are classic fish I guess they are now probably quite far removed from wild conditions.

https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/bloodfin-tetra.html
https://meethepet.com/bloodfin-tetra/ (section about breeding)
And various searches (and probably definitive fact sources such as YouTube )

I do wonder how much info is mixed up with Prionobrama filigera (glass bloodfin tetra) which does seem to have more info suggesting that they want GH 10 for breeding (although SeriouslyFish says GH 1-5)

Certainly everything suggests they are happier than other species in hard water.

Ummmm more to think about

Hi all,
I think most fish from this area are OK at higher pH levels. Some rivers have calcareous input, so it isn't like the central Amazon basin, where the water is very soft.

Corydoras hastatus and Apistogramma borelli are from this region, I've kept them and they don't need really soft water.

cheers Darrel

As these are classic fish I guess they are now probably quite far removed from wild conditions.

https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/bloodfin-tetra.html
https://meethepet.com/bloodfin-tetra/ (section about breeding)
And various searches (and probably definitive fact sources such as YouTube )

I do wonder how much info is mixed up with Prionobrama filigera (glass bloodfin tetra) which does seem to have more info suggesting that they want GH 10 for breeding (although SeriouslyFish says GH 1-5)

Certainly everything suggests they are happier than other species in hard water.

Ummmm more to think about

Well, I like to keep fish in water as close to their natural conditions as possible. That being said, if they thrive and breed in harder water, I don't see why you should hesitate.

I didn't mean they are sensitive as blackwater species, I just wasn't sure what you meant with harder water. I don't think you mean Tanganyika/Malawi type of water parameters?

Hi all, I think most fish from this area are OK at higher pH levels. Some rivers have calcareous input, so it isn't like the central Amazon basin, where the water is very soft.

Corydoras hastatus and Apistogramma borelli are from this region, I've kept them and they don't need really soft water.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darren,

Yes, these fish are more comfortable at 'higher' water parameters than most blackwater species. Rivers like Paraguay and Paraná run through grassy wetlands and have less wood and leaves that influence parameters. They even have rocks in them and small backwaters a few hundred metres apart can differ a lot. You are right that fish from these waters are much more adaptable.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them in water with pH 7+ and KH/GH 5+, though.

I have a Paraguay B2 biotope, running on approx. 90% RO water, but I live in a hardwater area. It depends on where you live.

Well, I like to keep fish in water as close to their natural conditions as possible. That being said, if they thrive and breed in harder water, I don't see why you should hesitate.

I didn't mean they are sensitive as blackwater species, I just wasn't sure what you meant with harder water. I don't think you mean Tanganyika/Malawi type of water parameters?
Not far off. Out the tap my GH is 12 and KH is 5.
Almost every reference I have found lists bloodfins says GH up to at least 15 and some say 30.

I know this is the Glass Bloodfins rather than the bloodfins I was looking at but that says their experience of keeping them in acidic conditions was negative. Also has some odd suggestion that neons excrete some acid that kills them so not sure how much I trust that :angelic:

I was originally drawn to them on the basis they were hard water fish so I think this does push me back towards the neon dwarf rainbowfish

Not far off. Out the tap my GH is 12 and KH is 5.
Almost every reference I have found lists bloodfins says GH up to at least 15 and some say 30.

I know this is the Glass Bloodfins rather than the bloodfins I was looking at but that says their experience of keeping them in acidic conditions was negative. Also has some odd suggestion that neons excrete some acid that kills them so not sure how much I trust that :angelic:

I was originally drawn to them on the basis they were hard water fish so I think this does push me back towards the neon dwarf rainbowfish

Prionobrama filigera are much different than A. anisitsi, but coming from the Rio Madeira (whiteriver), I also don't expect them to handle harder water and higher pH too well.

Then again, I'm more of a purist in this regard and I don't want to put you off purchasing these fish.

I do find it odd that some suggest 15 to 30 GH. I'm not even sure there are fish in the trade that can handle that kind of hardness.

Back