• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blown Chihiros RGB30

Hi all,

I hear a loud "pop" when my light tried to turn on this morning and it went out. Initial thought was the fuse in the plug but it's fitted witth a 13A fuse which would have needed a huge amount of current to blow. Changed the fuse and still nothing so it must be the in-line dimmer unit. Has anyone else had this happen with this light? Can it be repaired by myself or is it too dangerous to mess around with it?

What does this mean for my tank? Do I need to change my co2 levels at all while I sort out the light? I've just aimed a desk light at the tank for now to at least give some form of illumination for the fish and plants.

Many thanks,

Chris

Ok so it's not the dimmer section. I tried removing it and plugging the light straight into the power. The AC/DC converter itself is "popping".

Bump :p Could do with some advice on what to do with co2 while I have limited lighting if anyone has some suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris

When I was without lights for a while I just connected my light timer to a desklamp (60W) pointed at the tank, reduces CO2 to an hour or two, but didn't change injection rate so as to not upset the delicate setup of my CO2 injection rate. Plants were not as green as I would have liked when I got a replacement light, but started off by reducing lighting period and CO2 period so as to not zap the plants with masses of light after having low light for a while.

Though a "pop" sounds like something with mains energy involved, so looks like the power supply has gone. Not really possible or recommended to repair mains PSU's, especially if built into a plug type.

Contact supplier to see if they will sell you a replacement, if not covered under any warranty.

Else by a proper made adapter, eg for instance.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/powe...ers/?applied-dimensions=4293584531,4294546819

Hi all,

I hear a loud "pop" when my light tried to turn on this morning and it went out. Initial thought was the fuse in the plug but it's fitted witth a 13A fuse which would have needed a huge amount of current to blow. Changed the fuse and still nothing so it must be the in-line dimmer unit. Has anyone else had this happen with this light? Can it be repaired by myself or is it too dangerous to mess around with it?

What does this mean for my tank? Do I need to change my co2 levels at all while I sort out the light? I've just aimed a desk light at the tank for now to at least give some form of illumination for the fish and plants.

Many thanks,

Chris
I just got my Chihiros RGB today. It worked for 5 minutes, then I heard a loud pop, there was burnt smell and the light is dead. :hungover:
I contacted Hinterfeld (thats where I bought mine) and they said they will give me a refund.
Anyways did you manage to fix yours?

Back