• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Blue backed

Edvet

This is a journal for my new breeding tank for M. ramirezi. These are in a densly grown holding tank at the moment, fattening up and growing out. If a pair is obvious i will transfer them to this.
At the same time this is a tank to experiment a bit, see what happens if i stick plants in this foam. I know moss and ferns will attach to it, lets see what other plants can do.
There is one large matten filter covering sides and back and two small filters behind in the corners.
DSC_7358_copy.jpg

Apart from some moss and the Lomariopsis i've added Heteranthera zosterifolia (left front) and Ludwigia helminthorrizha (floating and stuck some pieces between foam and tank and i stuck some Tonina behind and in the foam.

cant fault the chihiros led. i have the a301 version. think black would look better and more natural background though.

Looks like a fun project. My first instinct building it would have been black foam, but actually I don't hate the blue and I wonder if it will turn a nice green/brown colour that looks very natural as it matures. Black is nice for making colours pop but it doesn't look very natural. Bet you will get some lovely emersed growth on the top edges too.

In relation to tank size, has to be one of the largest filters ever.

Interesting experiment.. :) I have a Bacopa growing on the filter pads in my open top sump and it roots like crazy all the way through the coarse and the fine sponge into the biomedia.
DSC_0235.jpg

Actualy no idea how that will work verticaly and submersed, i guess like that the laws of gravity and plants will behave slightly different. But i would definitively start planting the emersed part of the sponge with some trailing plant sp. in your case. It'll absolutely root down and likely pop something out submersed.

Oh and it flowers too. :)
DSC_0236.jpg

Thx i am thinking about some plantgrowth there, just want to get it startted now and i will find something suitable.
This is the top of my black cube, this all spontaneously appeared.
DSC_7396_copy.jpg

Is that an emersed Java fern? Spontaniously? How long did it take?.. Absolutely stunning!!.. Been trying that for years now (forced) without any success.. Is that open top?? If so there still is hope.. :woot:
Thanks for posting that..

Aye i had some java fern added to the wall when had Betta's in it. It's changed to an SA tank now, still Javafern growing on the wall as is Lomariopsis. These appreared about a year ago i guess.
The tank is open, and i will leave them in place.

The tank is open, and i will leave them in place.

Awsome! That is something realy unique, not yet seen it before and did quite some searching on it. And trying the get java fern to addapt to lower humidity for years now without success outside a controled green house. Than in your case if that grew from spores, you might be one of very few growing this plant in this condition.. :thumbup:
Enviable!!

Ludwigia helminthorrizha
Have to keep an eye out for that one.. :) realy beautifull floater.. Not yet did setup that planted in tank sump filter. Worth a try to start it emersed from there. :)

Back