• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Blue Sky' Iwagumi ...overgrown

Re: New journal, coming soon!

The tank I submitted to ASE2011 I dosed daily dosage of ADA ferts only once per week as I couldn´t maintain the tank more frequently - all plants are looking great and grow compact and dense. You wont get the turbo speed though :lol:

I've had the night from hell. Getting stuck in major traffic, and rushing to get a tank planted before i go to work tomorrow.

Anyway, here's a sneaky peek. Directly after filling.

I'll be tidying up after work tomorrow.

sneaky-peek.jpg

Hope you approve.

Re: New journal, sneaky peek.

Approve for sure

Shame the set up was stressful its a great feeling as you setting up and thinking 'this is going well' not so good when you find yourself asking 'AH S**T where did I put the tweezors/pot of that plant' and similar annoying things haha

i'm sure it'll be grand Mark! Look forward to more pics...

BTW if you need more micranthemum umbrosum, give me a shout.

Cheers fellas. I'll do a full run down tomorrow of plants used.

The quantities in Tropica pot's is just incredible. The new stem looks great. I'm interested to see how that pans out.

Here's the FTS, directly after planting.

Water is clear ish, after using the plastic bag method.

fts-9.jpg

There's a mass of stems in the back, which, with time, fill the right hand side, with just a touch of colour from a couple of red ish stems :D

There'll be plenty of trimming in this one.

Piece-of-fish said:
Loving the background

Flowering plants :lol: mmmm...yeah, the wife wont let me paint the wall blue :(

A quick waterchange this morning. :geek:

You're up early this morning mark! If you're after some red stems (not tropica though), if you're over in Lincoln there's some ludwegia in the Aquarium and it is honestly the red-est plant i have ever seen. I had to buy some.

ianho said:
You're up early this morning mark!

I've got to go to work mate :?

ianho said:
If you're after some red stems (not tropica though), if you're over in Lincoln there's some ludwegia in the Aquarium and it is honestly the red-est plant i have ever seen.

Cheers Ian.

Looks really nice, Mark, even done under pressure :D

I tried to imagine how it will looks like after the plants take a grip and I think that the idea for stems solely on the right hand side makes this Iwagumi, very different and unique. :thumbup: Do you intend to shape the plants by trimming, or you will look for a bushy wild view? ...or it is too early to say :angelic:

Very nice Mark,love the rock layout and plant choice,i cant wait for it to grow in because that,s when it all pulls together,

john.

Many thanks for the kind response guys. :thumbup:

Here's a quick rundown of plants.

HC
Rotala sp. green
Rotala rotundifolia
Proserpinaca Paulustris 'cuba'
Eleocharis Parvula
Ranunculus inundatus (unreleased)

I really have to thank Tropica for supplying the plants. After being a big user of Aquaefleur, the quantities in an individual pot is quite astounding.

Believe it or not, the foreground HC, is from just 3 pots.

Antoni said:
Do you intend to shape the plants by trimming, or you will look for a bushy wild view?

Hi Antoni! I'll be trimming them in an organised manner i think...manicured almost. I just feel this would suit the overall look. :angelic:

Westyggx said:
I love the rock placements Mark, very nice.

Thanks mate, this means a lot. :thumbup:

Day 1, and everything's just fine. HC and the Rununculus pearl quite intensely along with the stems in the back....you can just make it out in the pic.

pearl.jpg

I'm now training the wife to do water changes :wideyed:

Ranunculus inundatus ,,is this the plant infront of the rocks? Looks odd, how does it grow?bushy?

I saw George mentioned on his twitter he had seen a few new species from Tropica :D cool stuff

Oh and good luck with the training, I've gotta do the same with my gf for when I go away for a month in november to Brazil

Mark Evans said:
sure, I've grown moss in low light tanks, with no co2, ferts or waterchanges. see below...

nano-1.jpg

Whoa!!! That tank really looks lush, Mark!! Could you be kind enough to name those plants please? And is that AS Amazonia ?

nayr88 said:
Ranunculus inundatus ,,is this the plant infront of the rocks? Looks odd, how does it grow?bushy?

Thats the one...slightly clearer here...

runuculus.jpg

It grows on runners, just like tenellus. It's settling in, and is now giving off underwater form leaves.

As it's new to me, I'll play it by ear, to see what it does and how it does it. :D

faizal said:
Could you be kind enough to name those plants please? And is that AS Amazonia ?

Hi mate. the substrate is columbo florabase. I didn't dose, or add ferts or do any water changes.

The plants, if i remember rightly were...

accicularis
HM
rotala rotundifola
Crypt sp....cant remember
some kind of penny wart?...from my local river (growing out of top)
hydrocotyle (tropica)
java moss

i think that's it... :angelic:

It really looks lovely Mark. Nice jungle look. :thumbup: How did you manage to grow accicularis without co2? I am sorry again to be asking off topic questions but Columba Flora base is a type of soil isn't it? If so,...how did you manage with no water changes with regards to NH4 being commonly released with this type of substrate ?

faizal said:
How did you manage to grow accicularis without co2?

It's possible to grow just about any plant without co2. They'll just grow slower :thumbup:

faizal said:
Columba Flora base is a type of soil isn't it? If so,...how did you manage with no water changes with regards to NH4 being commonly released with this type of substrate ?

I reckon, with low light being the key, Issues associated with ammonia leaching are minimised. The algae driver (light) just isnt their to trigger these problems.

It's not until you increase lighting intensity, you'll start to hit the algae brick wall. :)

Back