• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa aubertii, why can’t I find it for sale in the uk?

Greengeek

Hi,

Any ideas why Blyxa Japonica is easy to get hold of and Blyxa Aubertii is not? It’s a gorgeous looking plant and a true aquatic, I’d love to use it in a display. Can’t find it any where.

Generally Blyxa's are "bad travellers" - they respond fast and bad, to being send around, usually arriving in quite poor condition (they recover really fast, though, given proper conditions in aquarium) .
This make commercial distribution difficult. Tissue culture is the way to go.... and Tropica is working on it (quality still not perfect, admittedly!)
Blyxa japonica is easier to grow successfully (has lower demands) than is Blyxa aubertii. Blyxa japonica is also the smaller species. This is making Blyxa japonica more common in private aquaria and easier to get hold on.
I agree, though, that Blyxa aubertii is a truly gorgeous plant, deserving more interest.....keep searching and good luck.

unfortunately no luck at all, there are a number of beautiful Blyxa species I’ve seen for sale in the us and europe but can’t source them for the uk. There is a gorgeous one called Blyxa novoguineensis which is a deep wine burgundy in favourable conditions. I’m constantly on the hunt for them.

I’m far from a Blyxa expert, these photos might be of plants under particular parameters (most I can get growing mucking about with Japonica is some red veined pinkish yellow plants under high light, high CO2, low no3 and then me messing about with iron, potassium dosing) and I can’t discount some form of photo editing in the links, or it could simply be superb aqua scaper mad skills but Im hopeful it’s a different species redder than my merlot! Lol

But check out these links….

I’m far from a Blyxa expert, these photos might be of plants under particular parameters (most I can get growing mucking about with Japonica is some red veined pinkish yellow plants under high light, high CO2, low no3 and then me messing about with iron, potassium dosing) and I can’t discount some form of photo editing in the links, or it could simply be superb aqua scaper mad skills but Im hopeful it’s a different species redder than my merlot! Lol

But check out these links….

person in the first link doesn't do much in the way of editing. he just has A LOT of light. like 300-400 par. and if i rememeber correctly he does EI. so no nutrient stress.
an example of blyxa novo with light stress only. no nutrient stress.

Back