• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa-Bolbitis scape

TDI-line

I just thought i'd post these couple of pics of my latest scape, before i tear it down again for more experimenting... :lol:

I'm not really happy with this one, but it is quite low maintenance though.

Sumatra driftwood and mini-landscape rock used, with Blyxa background and a small glosso foreground, my botia striata wouldn't leave the original HC alone. There are a few stems thrown in for good measure.

Tropica ferns and Bolbitis has been attached to the driftwood.

011.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

you my friend are the blyxa king...or queen? i'm not sure. anyway, i love what you do in your tanks. and i've a hinted before if theres any blyxa for sale, i'll glady buy it of you ;)

great scape in the making :D

mark

Wow, thats a lot of blyxa.! :wideyed: Is the tank a 720 l Akvastabil Effectline?

Wow, that is a big aquarium.

I don't know what other people think, but I think you should get some discus in there.

As for the scape, I think you at least some height in some areas, but wouldn't that be achieved by growth?

TDI-line said:
Jek, yes, well spotted. :D
Akvastabil are rather unusual in UK aren't they?
I got one on 325 l, but I find the alu frame very irritating...

That scape is full of potential, Dan. You have the foundations, so a little tinkering here and there with the hard scape should help it realise its full potential. I, of course, would like to see some wood breaking the waters surface.

Give it some time to get to where it wants to go in my opinion. Certainly don`t break it down yet!

Dave.

JEK said:
TDI-line said:
Jek, yes, well spotted. :D
Akvastabil are rather unusual in UK aren't they?
I got one on 325 l, but I find the alu frame very irritating...

Hi Jek,

yes they are rather rare in the Uk now, Akva-Stabil pulled out of the UK market last year which was a big shame.

I can't think of another tank manufacturer which has such diversity in colours, well maybe Deltec. ;)

The alu frame is very annoyung, i had to remove the original t8's, and replace with D+D razor edge T5's so they would fit, so i could achieve good lighting.

Do you have any pics of your tank on UKAPS?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thomas, the tank is 720 litre.

Dave, i'll be catching the remaining Cardinals tomorrow, then a water change. And you know what it's like trying to catch just one fish in a planted tank with brace bars.. :?

But i'm thining about going for a scape with some very large pieces of mountain rock, even reaching the water level, with a shoal of 150 Harlequins, and blyxa and pogestum.

Did you notice my boring 30-50 ish Cardinals, all they do is mingle on the right hand side. I mean, they have 2 metres of tank to swim in. :lol:

TDI-line said:
Did you notice my boring 30-50 ish Cardinals, all they do is mingle on the right hand side. I mean, they have 2 metres of tank to swim in. :lol:

there must be a reason for this then!! more/less lighting at that end? stronger or weaker flow (id imagine slighly weaker as they like the calmer areas) that is a great tank, just wish i had room for a beast like that!

I actually didn't even notice the fish :lol: I think Harlequins would use the whole tank because they're more active

I had Cardinals and they were a PITA for constantly hiding. Copper harlequins (Trigonostima hengeli) are awesome fish in looks and behaviour.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
I had Cardinals and they were a PITA for constantly hiding. Copper harlequins (Trigonostima hengeli) are awesome fish in looks and behaviour.

Dave.

Yeah, I have those and their colouring/body shape is better than Harlequins IMO. They are nice fish.

That does look great already.
That must have been a lot of Blyxa already gotten rid of from the last scape, eh ?

I've seen a shoal of over 100 copper harlequins that looked fantastic together but again without something to move them they can find a favourite spot and sit again. One of the best fish I've come across for moving around is the cheap but cheerful White Cloud Mountain Minnow. It was my wife that wanted them so they came along to appease her but in a species only tank they visit all levels and move all round the tank.

isnt blxya quite costly?

i have some WCMM in a small 38L tank that i am trying to get to breed but having no luck. i am feeding them on a frozen daphnia and bloodworm diet but no luck.

Nick16 said:
i have some WCMM in a small 38L tank that i am trying to get to breed but having no luck. i am feeding them on a frozen daphnia and bloodworm diet but no luck.

I can't stop them :lol:

Moved the dozen I bought out of my 120l when it went wrong and saw numerous babies appear after the rescape, then the temp home for the original dozen provided another 40 or so and there are new additions appearing all the time in the main community they have gone into despite the other fish predating the fry.

Luketendo said:
Wow, that is a big aquarium.

I don't know what other people think, but I think you should get some discus in there.

As for the scape, I think you at least some height in some areas, but wouldn't that be achieved by growth?

I've been down the discus route before, but with higher running temperatures and more co2 complications, i decided to dedicate this tank to just fully planted.

I may split the Limneophia up later.

Back