• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa Japonica Flowers Underwater

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
A wise man once told me that Life is defined as: what happens to you when you are busy planning something else. So I was busy trying to determine why Blyxa Japonica turns bronze. Then, Life happened and it flowered underwater where everything I'd ever read said that this plant only flowers at the surface. Not a very big flower, only a couple of millimeters.

Here the thin wisp of a stalk started pearling and I thought it was some invasive weed that had infected the Blyxa.
8394122013_6e62ce4864_c.jpg

Then it opened and looked similar to the surface forms I'd seen before. Very difficult to photograph due to very small size.
8394121847_3e01797472_c.jpg

Zooming out for perspective you can just barely make out the flower head in the upper right zone of the Blyxa. If anyone tells you that this plant never flowers underwater then you can tell them Bollyxa. :lol:
8395206148_b061f722da_c.jpg

If I pull back further you get an idea of the scale with Blyxa sitting in the Valley of the Talls. :lol:
8394112885_dcb5efdbae_c.jpg

Now if I could only figure out why it turns bronze... :(

Cheers,

Nice one Clive. That's what happens with Blyxa when you have plenty of phosphates in the water.

James

Love the wise-man's words.

I've had the shoot, but no flower.

Thanks for sharing, Clive. Super photography too, as always mate.

BTW Clive, my Bylxa is now going green with the LED lighting. And I'm dosing Easycarbo, as a CO2 replacement. Hehehe. Are you going mad yet?!

George Farmer said:
Love the wise-man's words.

I've had the shoot, but no flower.

Thanks for sharing, Clive. Super photography too, as always mate.

BTW Clive, my Bylxa is now going green with the LED lighting. And I'm dosing Easycarbo, as a CO2 replacement. Hehehe. Are you going mad yet?!

Cheers George. :D

:twisted: :twisted: Yes, this is very irritating because there doesn't seem to be any consistency whatsoever. I deleted the Excel treatment for a month and it still turned. I don't yet have control of spectra to test lighting changes but I kind of suspect pigment change in response to wavelengths and/or PAR variations. The LED correlation could easily be another optical illusion though. :? Grrr...

Cheers,

Hi,
I'm out of town at the moment but I might have some in a few weeks. Have you tried Greenline?

Cheers,

Back