• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape

Those competition ones were 90cm x 45cm x 45cm..

Hmmm.. Still need more rocks of various sizes IMHO.. The rocks on the right are too similar IMHO..

Drew

Some more scape ideas :-

IMG_20100919_113542.jpg

IMG_20100919_114528.jpg

this last one is the one! i really like it, its gotsta be this one.

i'd suggest, before you getting carried away with positioning. do you have plans for what plants you might want to use? this will change everything.

Plant list is on page 3 and here it is!

Background:
Rotala
Blyxa
Crypts: Balansae, Wendtii "Green"

Mid-Foreground:
Staurogyne sp.
Eleocharis Acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides or Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Pogostemon Helferi

I also have Hydrocotyle verticillata, Micranthemum umbrosum and some Java Fern atm so I'm sure that I'll work them in somewhere!

Really nice original stones. Like the original layout, maybe bring the two main stones together? And even swapped them so the largest is near the middle of the tank. Just to see how it'll look.

Oooh.. that's an idea Jay. I must admit there is something about the last layout that just doesn't sit right with me...

Mark, would the listed plants (in your opinion) work with most of the layout?

I still think the principles of Iwagumi should be followed. Of course any layout could look good, but with such a varied mixture of plants, stone placement is vital to a successful layout.

OK.

your plant choice is bold! but good.

positioning is where it could make or break.

what I'd suggest....if you want those plants, think about where they maybe placed a bit different.

e.g...

Bobtastic said:
Background:
Rotala
Blyxa
Crypts: Balansae, Wendtii "Green"

wendeti green, can grow shorter than most, so maybe mid ground
blyxa, a midground plant usualy.
rotala, stays in the back!
balansae, IMO would ruin it.

Bobtastic said:
Staurogyne sp.
Eleocharis Acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides or Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Pogostemon Helferi

A good mixture of plants, but use some to accent areas. acicularis can be made into a focal point or just to accent areas.

glosso, foreground

pogostomon, treat like tenelus, and plant around stones maybe.

staurogyne, again, to highlight areas.

youve got the makings of a classic iwagumi, so I'd be tempted to simplify the plant species...glosso, grass, blyxa (to replace tenellus) crypts would give a sense of 'wild'

google the master, 'amano' and check out his works...all should become clear.

too much vodka, makes me vague :lol: and I'm struggling to find the keys.

Thanks Mark! I put a proposed planting plan on page #4. I was suggest that I swap Eleocharis Acicularis for Eleocharis Parvula as it would grow shorter (forgot to change it on the above post :s). I think I've decided again the Gloss and the HC as the would defo highlight any failings in flow...

I wanting to use balansae as I currently have some growing in the tanks current encarnation... The plan wasy to have it growing out the top of the Rotala.

Balansae really is a more jungle scape plant, although I've sen Amano use it in an iwagumi to awesome effect in Nature Book 1. With river stones.

seems like you're getting it. tighten the rockwork and have it placed at the golden section. should look better.

Drew

This is the above scape with a re-tweek. Moved slightly the the left and the rock work tighter together.

IMG_20100921_175850.jpg

As much as it pains me I'm getting a little tired of re-rescaping! :wideyed:

I might revisit the original scape and giving a few tweeks.

Bobtastic said:
As much as it pains me I'm getting a little tired of re-rescaping! :wideyed:

It can become a pain! I remember when I first stone arranging, it became a real headache. eventually though, things become clear, and you shall become good at it.

Remember this! theirs no right or wrong arrangement. It may not sit right with the rules of iwagumi, but at the end of the day, if it pleases you then all must be good right? :thumbup:

you wont hit the 'right' arrangement first time....fact! However, and after 10 arrangements, it's still not right, but it will be better than the last.

Thanks for the encouragement Mark! If I'm sick of it already I can only imagine how you lot feel after I inflict each new attempt everyone!

I like to think that my attempts are improving... All I know it the the misses likes the latest attempt! Which is at least one thumbsup! ;)

Back