• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bolivian Ram

D3@NO

Seedling
Hi Guys, just a quick question, male or female looking to pair Chester off originally thought he was male know I'm thinking female o_Oo_O

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_210235.jpg
    IMG_20190716_210235.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_20190716_210235.jpg
    IMG_20190716_210235.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 171
Nice fish
How old? these fish are not easy to sex, SF has some photos of males with extended fins, but I’ve not seen many that are that definite
As with most “rams” they do better longterm in groups than attempts at “pairs”

From Seriously Fish profile
M. altispinosus is a relatively gregarious cichlid and should ideally be maintained in a mixed-sex group of 6-8 or more.

Had him for about 10 months, I'm worried if I put a group in my tank now Chester will be pushed out :(

Assuming 240 litre aquarium is some variation of 100 - 120cm long x 40 - 50cm wide, a group of Bolivian rams would be fine

Adding in 4-6 additional fish would be less likely to cause Chester distress (I suspect he/she would be quite pleased with the company) than attempting to add a single Bolivian ram - in which scenario, one fish dominating the other is rather more likely

If you search out juveniles, Chester will likely be Boss Fish

As you’ve had Chester for 10months, I’d guess female but adding a known male is no guarantee for a successful pair, like most dwarf cichlids, they prefer some selection

Thank you for your info it's much appreciated I'm looking to add a group rather than one

My tank is 27.7 as we speak, but it does change up and down slightly.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Back