Bonsai

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by Dan Crawford, 19 May 2008.

1. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Anyone a Bonsai keeper, i've been asked to have a look at one for a friend coz it's kinda suffering and just wondered how many people kept them?

2. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

I was trying to grow one from a seed but they never took off, sorry.

3. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

I got one that was about 15 years old and managed to kill it off in less than a month, so I am not much help either! :rolleyes: :?

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

NPK all the way ;)

No, I have no idea... Something I would like to get into one day, but I'm not sure I have the patience and inner calm required.

5. Dan Crawford

I banged a bit of that in for good measure, can't hurt i'm sure. :?:

6. Aqua Essentials

Aqua Essentials Sponsor Staff Member

I have kept Bonsai for years and they are very simple to look after. Most people fail because they forget to water them - that's all. Bonsai have very small pots so they dry out quickly.

I have found too much fertiliser has a negative effect, leaves drop off etc. I fertilise once a week and water daily. No other secrets for me. In spring/summer I prune where necessary. My current tree is about 12 years old and I've had it since it was 3 or 4 years old.

7. Dan Crawford

Cheers Richard, what fertaliser do you use?

8. lstratton

lstratton Member

I've got one that is 18years old that I my sister and I bought for my old sister, who almost killed it within a few weeks, so my mum stole it off her and I now look after it.
    It is looking a bit wild and woolly as I haven't trimmed it yet. I left it all winter and am going to do it again, but am just deciding whether to repot it.
    I never fertilise mine, so would love to know what you use, I'm sure mine will love me for that!
    I water whenever the soil starts to look dry, so in the summer that is everyday, but in the winter it is every few days, sometimes a week, depending on how cold it gets in the house.

9. Aqua Essentials

Nothing special - just a commercially available one that I've had for years. I think it's Chempak or something like that.

10. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

i've always fancied one but never given it a go. where does one acquire a Bonsai, are there special bonsai shops or can you get them from a garden centre?

11. Dan Crawford

you can get them in Wyvales etc but i bet it's like anything, if you go to a fish breeder you generally get better fish and so on so i suppose your local Bonsai club would be the best place to go although it might be a bit more expensive?

12. Iliveinazoo

Iliveinazoo Member

I'm not an expert keeper but I've had one large one for about 2 years and a smaller one for about 1 year. as mentioned by others you only water when the soil looks dry, a really small thin bit of wood/plastic to poke down into the soil will tell you how wet/dry the soil is underneath the surface but don't poke about too much because you may damage the roots.

I use a test-tube-style drip feeder especially for bonzais as a fertliser. They seem to work better for me than adding the liquid ferts to the watering can once a week.

On where to get one - it seems that every garden centre has a section for them. My 2 year old I bought at 1/2 price from a DIY shop.

13. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

My Maidenhead Aquatics has some really expensive and nice looking (and old) bonsais.

14. Aqua Essentials

For people new to bonsai, go to B&Q or Homebase - everyone I have ever gone to sells them. They start at about £10

You can also get cool Japanese gear for bonsais on Ebay - lovely scissors, trimming tools and fertilisers