• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bonsai

Derek113

Is it ok to collect suitable saplings from public land, i.e the local park?

I have seen the perfect hedging on the street but im unsure if the local council would see this as theft.

Any advice?

Hi
Every autumn my city council takes part in a free tree scheme for local residents.There's a variety of saplings given away.Birch,crab apple,hawthorn, mountain ash, field maple, blackthorn, wayfaring etc.
Unsure if this a countrywide scheme or just a local one.
Maybe sound your council out.

I could imagine the embarrassment of being nicked for thieving a bush!

On the other hand i can ask the local council if i can have some of the stuff they dig up.

I agree with Nelson it would be seen as theft. My personal opinion is if you can just pluck the little guy like a weed It's fair game. But if you have to break ground. "Do it at night" lol. FOR THE RECORD I DON'T CONDONE STEALING. NOPE NOT ME. :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Its frustrating as i go past this same hedge row and they are small enough to be yanked out. But rules are rules

Hi all,
If you have access to any waste ground with building rubble? or park with a path made out of fly ash, or similar, you should be able to find Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) and Birch (Betula pendula) seedlings growing.

Underneath wire fences is a good place to find Hawthorn, Holly (Ilex aquifolium), Mountain Ash (Sorbus spp.) and Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster spp.) seedlings.

cheers Darrel

The hedging i have my eye on is very attractive. Nice thick trunks around 3 feet tall.

All they require is some wiring to position branches.

May go for a midnight stroll (lost my dog) haha

image.jpg
Not the best photo, i will get better ones tomorrow. This was taken from my window...my window!

You can't take them. That's a hedge.........
Probably Beech,maybe Hornbeam.
Most good garden centre's will have these for sale this time of year.

The ones for sale are like twigs. The ones pictured just need wiring.

I cant find any for sale that are of decent size.

I don't think stealing trees is a good or ethical way to collect bonsai material!
Bonsai take time, care and patience to develop, of course you can collect from the wild but taking part of a public display is not right in my mind.
I am 55 years old and stated my collection when I was 19, I still hunt the garden centres for suitable shrubs or trees.
You need to look for stunted pot grown specimens that no one wants to buy.
Spread the word that you are looking for unwanted garden shrubs, ask your friends on facebook or ask at garden centres for their discards.
I have grown several of my trees from B&Q throw outs, they now look fantastic after a few years of pampering.

Is it ok to take from the wild?

There are few garden centres in my area, theres a Morrisons supermarket and a BnM that was an old homebase. They sell bits and bobs but nothing great.
I have an ad in tje local rag and have collected a few stumps. I have left them out doors untill the roots take hold in their new pots. These were collected from a demolition site. Gave the security guy £20 to let me in.

There is country side as far as the eye can see, so its an option to collect from these sites.

I have a few small scots pine doing well, i will begin to train them at the end of summer.

Back