• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What books are you reading?

Hi all,
I don't read much fiction so:
cheers Darrel

Biased towards Psychology so:

- Nudge
Thaler and Sunstein

- Thinking, Fast and Slow
Daniel Kahneman

Both accessible, delivering great insights into how we operate and will continue to operate despite these learnings.

- The Righteous Mind
Jonathan Haidt

Great gateway into Moral Psychology and a very good response as to “why good people are divided by politics and religion”.

- The Gulag Archipelago
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Because. You will be a more appreciative person afterwards.

I'll throw in some fiction because I'm waiting untill I can start cooking dinner. The lies of Locke Lamora. Never has a book had me laughing out loud so much, or cackling with snotty glee at some wiseass remark or event I did not see coming. Must read for those who enjoy fantasy books, and this one is a very original cocktail of fantasy mixxed with a heist theme. Didnt expect to like it, but I was very very surprised.

I'll throw in some fiction because I'm waiting untill I can start cooking dinner. The lies of Locke Lamora. Never has a book had me laughing out loud so much, or cackling with snotty glee at some wiseass remark or event I did not see coming. Must read for those who enjoy fantasy books, and this one is a very original cocktail of fantasy mixxed with a heist theme. Didnt expect to like it, but I was very very surprised.

sounds good. Just ordered it 👍😃

A bit of action -

Tom Wood - Victor the Assassin series.

Anything by Simon Kernick ( gotta start from the beginning really).

Both brilliant series and read.

——————————————————————-

Life changing maybe -

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy

probably my favourite book.

Life changing maybe -

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy

probably my favourite book.

Absolutely and definitely ones to read before (if) planning on seeing the films, used to get proper immersed in those books.

"All The Kings men" by Robert Penn Warren

Wilding by Isabella Tree - a beautiful book about the transformation of a farm when it's 'rewilded' by it's owners (the writer and her husband). Very relevant in it's look at biodiversity and complex ecosystems, and gives a bit of hope for our future, if it's centered on nature.

For a bit of fantasy - Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. A series that spans 5 triologies, it has the most amazing richly done fantasy history, geography and ecology of any fantasy I've read. Very good stuff!

Wilding by Isabella Tree - a beautiful book about the transformation of a farm when it's 'rewilded' by it's owners (the writer and her husband). Very relevant in it's look at biodiversity and complex ecosystems, and gives a bit of hope for our future, if it's centered on nature.

For a bit of fantasy - Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. A series that spans 5 triologies, it has the most amazing richly done fantasy history, geography and ecology of any fantasy I've read. Very good stuff!
Big hobb fan here too :) Loved them all, except for the final trilogy that I refuse to accept :) Shaped my teenage years. My love of wolves started with Nighteyes :) If it wasnt such an impractical name, I'm sure my dog would have been called that.

Since @PARAGUAY rekindled this thread thought I might try to get the ball rolling again.

I think the universe is a far more interesting and mysterious place than we’ve been led to believe. I’m really enjoying reading or listening to books that present an alternative slant to the official narrative, particularly ancient history, human origins, religion and science, and the nature of consciousness.

For instance, anything by Graham Hancock, America Before is pretty good. The Science Delusion by Rupert Sheldrake. Forgotten Civilisation by Robert Schoch, The Immorality Key by Brian Muraresku,. And some titles and authors that are a little more twilight zone, The Ancient Giants Who Ruled America by Richard Dewhurst, Slave Species of the Gods by Michael Tellinger, and the Physics of God by Joseph Selbie.

And finally, perhaps a book more in keeping with a planted tank forum, Wilding by Isabella Tree. It’s a seminal work on rewildimg an arable farm and estate in West Sussex.

I enjoyed Snow Crash recently. It all felt very close and a dystopia we’re on rails towards.

It also vindicated my hatred of “going on the computer” to have to do literally everything/anything.

And then for the divvy lads like me who can’t read a book without pictures, you can’t go wrong with Hellboy the short stories collection.

And for books you buy because of the pictures “the art of princess mononoke” is really great for inspiration.

image.jpg

The top one I plan to ape in the 60f when rescape time comes.

A lot of you will know this book A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. It's got everything people's stories, legend and in the way he writes he doesn't shy away from the environmental issues despite the sheer beauty of the Appalachian Trail

Back