• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bookshelf Blackwater - 12g Long

Still kicking along with little to no maintenance, never trimmed any of the plants in the tank.

IMG_1032.jpg

Photo from today, I swear there are fish in the tank, I spooked them when taking the photo

48736251233_acaaea8a12_b.jpg
Bookshelf Blackwater Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

As my photos never capture any fish... and I am surprised how well these boraras have thrived in this tank I decided to take a video, these boraras have been in this tank for about 3 years or more back when this tank was a iguwami, also a few cory catfish, a few otos (not seen), a bunch of shrimp and a heap of pest snails, the odd planaria, snail leach and all that stuff you dont want :p

New FTS, finally cleaned the filter after a plantra (spelling?) outbreak, man that filter was full of gunk.

48947184681_9a7cfc7a20_b.jpg
untitled-2366.jpg by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Shot a very quick video tonight testing out some new software, all hand held (stabilised in post) with the tiny old canon eos m, running magic lantern shooting 1080p raw video... all I can say is wow so cool for a $200 camera and $100 lens!

This fishtank is going strong, I have not done a water change since I cleaned the filter on 23rd dec... I will change the water this weekend but seems I can do monthly changes and keep things ticking along.

Quick video of my usual test subject when I want to test out a new lens / video process... this time I didn't overexpose and it shows how dark this tank really is, I guess the low light has helped because I have not done a water change since I last cleaned the filter about 6 months ago :p Due to no maintenance the tank is a bit messy with many snails... but I dont mind

Quick update, the tank is well overdue for some love, I told myself last time cleaned the filter / tank that I would keep on top of maintenance, well I have have not, last water change was when I did the filter clean in October 2019... still going strong. I would like to eliminate the small snails. I am tempted to try some chemicals... does anyone have any tips?

50082480798_7cd9ba2e22_h.jpg
IMG_3128 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Really love this tank.

Do you have any shrimp in the tank or is it just fish? I have never tried to kill snails with chemicals, I just tend to put a piece of cucumber or lettuce in there and remove them when they congregate on it. If you only have fish you likely have more options.

Really love this tank.

Do you have any shrimp in the tank or is it just fish? I have never tried to kill snails with chemicals, I just tend to put a piece of cucumber or lettuce in there and remove them when they congregate on it. If you only have fish you likely have more options.

Thanks Mort, there are also red cherry shrimp in the tank, I may just try go the natural route and bate the nails with food, first I will tackle cleaning up the overgrown right side of the tank this weekend

hi doylecolmdoyle
Loved this tank
any update ?
Hi mate, no real updates its still ticking along with very little maintenance, just top up the water weekly, it is due (well overdue) for a filter clean and generally clean up, will take some photos when I get around to that.

Easily one of the nicest tanks out there, or has ever been. I don't say that easily either, the growth is excellent and proves patience is key for the low tech tanks. I wouldn't even know where to begin with trimming that though.

Do you get much of a smell from the wood?

Last edited:
I really like the simplicity of this. At some point I'd probably want to set up a similar tank, long and shallow, ideally with some more emerged material.

Looks like it needs a bit of a trim as well by the way :). I find it curious that no plants have emerged and crawled on top of that wood over the course of two years - have you been purposely keeping it clear?

Back