• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Botanical Garden Suggestions

Jack G

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for great botanical gardens etc. in the UK?

I’ve visited Kew, Wisley, The Eden Project and Heligan in the last year and have absolutely loved every single one.

Anyone got another favourite? Happy to make the trip anywhere on the mainland.

Thanks folks

Hi all,
I’ve visited Kew, Wisley, The Eden Project and Heligan in the last year and have absolutely loved every single one.
There are quite a few gardens that are good, although there aren't many with big glasshouses like Kew.

The most interesting of the other ones I've visited is the <"National Botanic Garden of Wales">, but it is miles from anywhere. <"Ventnor"> is another good good one (but on the Isle of Wight)

<"Wakehurst Place"> is worth a visit. A couple more in your part of the world are <"Nymans"> and <"Great Dixter">. If you don't mind a bit further away <"Abbotsbury"> is interesting and then there are a whole raft of gardens in Devon and Cornwall.

cheers Darrel

Haven't been there in a while, but you might want to look at University of Bristol Botanical Garden :)

Thanks Oscar, I'll add it to the list!

Hi all,There are quite a few gardens that are good, although there aren't many with big glasshouses like Kew.

The most interesting of the other ones I've visited is the <"National Botanic Garden of Wales">, but it is miles from anywhere. <"Ventnor"> is another good good one (but on the Isle of Wight)

<"Wakehurst Place"> is worth a visit. A couple more in your part of the world are <"Nymans"> and <"Great Dixter">. If you don't mind a bit further away <"Abbotsbury"> is interesting and then there are a whole raft of gardens in Devon and Cornwall.

cheers Darrel

I've got plans to go to Wakehurst soon, there is an exhibition on at the moment that sounds great.

Thanks Darrel will add all of those too my list for sure!

In the UK I've only been to the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (I live in Edinburgh so visit multiple times a year, it's free apart from most of the glasshouses) and Benmore, I do really want to visit more too though. Not sure how it compares to other botanic gardens around the UK, but I think Edinburgh's Botanics better than the Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam (which is actually pretty great itself, but smaller and has an entrance fee).

I'd certainly recommend the Edinburgh Botanics, I love the glasshouses and it even has an aquarium section (which is often neglected maintenance-wise, but still interesting). They mainly just have guppies and some other common fish in the tanks, but one has red bellies, and there is also a massive tropical pond full of breeding convict cichlids, zebra danios, swordfish, fancy goldfish, giant plecs that they use to grow Amazon Giant Water Lilies and other aquatic plants. The really cool thing about the pond is that it has a giant viewing window in the aquarium room in the floor below. I always enjoy seeing the strange mix of large tropical fish thriving there with the various aquatic plants.

suggestions for great botanical gardens etc. in the UK?

Bristol very limited parking. Geologically themed gardens as well as vegetation zoned gardens. Glasshouses climate zoned.

Birmingham (Edgbaston) good parking, well established gardens & glasshouses. Also Winterbourne House & Garden Birmingham. Alpine collection. OK parking. If you did the two great day or weekend.

Cambridge no parking but good park & ride. Well established gardens & glasshouses. Time lined gardens & climate zoned glasshouses.

I would go later in the season when its a little warmer.

Back