Bottles for Hydor NRG system - any cheap option?

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Animal Mother, 9 Dec 2009.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Member

I have the Hydor NRG CO2 system (the one without the gauges) and was wondering whether there was a cheap option or an adapter for the CO2 bottles.

I'll be using it in a 320l tank so the small bottles aren't financially viable. :thumbdown:

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Humm on a 320 lt tank you really want to upsize things. I dont know of an adaptor for the NRG system that would allow you to switch to a fire extinguisher (FE), others might. So it may mean replacing the reg which would then allow you to use FE's which work out much more cost effective.

Sam :)

3. Garuf

Garuf Member

Simple answer: No. I had one and it lives in my spares box for that exact reason, even on a nano I used a bottle every 2 weeks. Hydor say it's not in anyway safe to use any other bottle with the regulator and I'd be inclined to agree.

4. Superman

Superman Member

I'd tried to find them before buying the system and couldn't.
    Although in the end I got a Dennerle system which I think is the same! :crazy:

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Member

I was given it for nothing so no loss. I'll use yeast until the new year when I can afford to get a welding CO2 system sorted.

6. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Cool, yeast isnt going to be all that effective either, unless of course you have 8 or 9 systems working at the same time. I've got one of those massive pub type cylinders on my 250lt, lasts me about 4-5 months, by far the cheapest way of doing it.

Sam