• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Bottom" fish suitable with ADA Amazonia substrate

KAB28

Hello all, having set up my low-tech, planted, 120 litre tropical freshwater tank a few weeks ago, I am pleased to say it is flourishing. The plants are growing well & the water chemistry has settled. The water is clear, there is a little algae on the glass. I have added x6 Zebra Danio, x1 Siamese Algae Eater & some Amano Shrimp. They are all feeding & behaving as they should.

My plan is to let these critters settle for a month & all being well, add some 'bottom" fish. I had planned on Sterbai Corydora but have been advised several times that my tank is unsuitable as they need sand & my ADA Amazonia substrate, is unsuitable. Disappointed I have considered alternatives & like the look of Dwarf Chain Loach. Though it is not clear to me if these are suitable with Amazonia.

So my question to you all is: what "bottom" fish would you recommend for my setup? I know some do keep Corys in tanks with an aquasoil substrate, but I do want fish that are content in their environment, not just surviving. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Ambastaia sidthimunki - are from leaf litter/sand substrates so I suspect Amazonia soil to not be for them, but I doubt they wouldn't survive in your tank.

Almost all bottom dwellers will fall into a few categories, they'll sift, dig or predate (as in, bigger things than 5mm) - so with the substrate you have, what I think you're really looking for is a fish that is in the bottom third, but won't be looking in the substrate for some food - I'll have a think, by the looks of things something Asian?

Maybe Dario Dario might be a nice fit - I think they're from the same region as the Danios you have - they'll scavenge but won't dig. Small fish, I guess if your dimension have a good footprint, you could try a group of them (I'd suggest no more than 2 per 30L, but a tank with a minimum footprint of 45x30 should be considered for a pair. So, in you tank, maybe 6?

@castle thanks, I shall look in to Dario Dario. I am not concerned as the species' continent of origin, as long as they are suited to my tanks environment. Any other suggestions greatly welcomed.

Back