"Bottom" fish suitable with ADA Amazonia substrate

KAB28

Hello all, having set up my low-tech, planted, 120 litre tropical freshwater tank a few weeks ago, I am pleased to say it is flourishing. The plants are growing well & the water chemistry has settled. The water is clear, there is a little algae on the glass. I have added x6 Zebra Danio, x1 Siamese Algae Eater & some Amano Shrimp. They are all feeding & behaving as they should.

My plan is to let these critters settle for a month & all being well, add some 'bottom" fish. I had planned on Sterbai Corydora but have been advised several times that my tank is unsuitable as they need sand & my ADA Amazonia substrate, is unsuitable. Disappointed I have considered alternatives & like the look of Dwarf Chain Loach. Though it is not clear to me if these are suitable with Amazonia.

So my question to you all is: what "bottom" fish would you recommend for my setup? I know some do keep Corys in tanks with an aquasoil substrate, but I do want fish that are content in their environment, not just surviving. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

castle

Ambastaia sidthimunki - are from leaf litter/sand substrates so I suspect Amazonia soil to not be for them, but I doubt they wouldn't survive in your tank.

Almost all bottom dwellers will fall into a few categories, they'll sift, dig or predate (as in, bigger things than 5mm) - so with the substrate you have, what I think you're really looking for is a fish that is in the bottom third, but won't be looking in the substrate for some food - I'll have a think, by the looks of things something Asian?

Maybe Dario Dario might be a nice fit - I think they're from the same region as the Danios you have - they'll scavenge but won't dig. Small fish, I guess if your dimension have a good footprint, you could try a group of them (I'd suggest no more than 2 per 30L, but a tank with a minimum footprint of 45x30 should be considered for a pair. So, in you tank, maybe 6?

KAB28

@castle thanks, I shall look in to Dario Dario. I am not concerned as the species' continent of origin, as long as they are suited to my tanks environment. Any other suggestions greatly welcomed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BarryH A big thank you - Bottom feeders to share with Harlequins Fish 27
C Recommendations for tropical fish vendor in North West Fish 1
Nick72 Strange Fish Fish 9
Geoffrey Rea Fish ID Fish 18
PotteryWalrus Buying fish on ebay? Fish 14
Ed Wiser How beta fish use fighting. Fish 3