Bought a new Domain, but what to do with it?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by Steve Smith, 31 Oct 2008.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Couldn't resist yesterday, I found that the domain aquascaped.net was available so I yoinked it for $10 :)

Currently pointed it at the UKAPS forums untill I decide what to do with it. I've not really got any aquascapes of my own to put on there. I thought about some sort of blog type affair, similar to AquaticEden maybe.

Any ideas what I could do with it?

2. Goodygumdrops

Goodygumdrops Member

A UK aquatic auction site?Like Aquabid,or is that a bit ambitious?

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Perhaps a bit ambitious :D

4. Goodygumdrops

Goodygumdrops Member

5. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Very ambitious. nice idea though, hopefully someone else might do this at some point.

The blog sounds like a good idea. Get an account over at blogspot or somewhere similar and point it to your domain. Instant web site :)

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I have my own web hosting so that's not a problem :) (I host all of my own photos that I post on the forum).

7. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

http://www.aquaauction.co.uk/ ;)

8. Goodygumdrops

Goodygumdrops Member

Cool,way to go till it reaches Aquabid proportions but good luck to them.Gulp at the plecs,hasn't someone on here got a load of those?

9. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Did I read that right?.... £2,000 for 5 Zebra plecs. That is just plain crazy!

It is TDI that has a tankful of them :)

10. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

on ebay they was £1000 for 2, you would be the happiest fishkeeper in the world if they spawned :wideyed:

11. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

I'd be over the moon! ...and then how gutted if the spawn didn't survive doesn't bear thinking about :twisted:

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

at least you know it could be sucessfull next time :D

sorry Steve for going off topic...

13. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

getting back on topic ;) the blog idea sounds good...

It should be quite straightforward to get a blog account somewhere, customise it, and link your domain to it.

You can then ramble away to your hearts content. After a while of blogging you may spot recurring themes or something you want to expand on or highlight. The blog will content can then be used for any site you then develop out of this. Just an idea :)

14. Behold

Behold Member

He's not stupid. Pic with Tail Cut off for proof..... No forging that ....

15. Superman

Superman Member

How about turning it into a blog type place?

I've always fancied have a blog about my aquarium, but posting on the forum is a little bit too much as it really fills things up.

Creating a auction site would be fairly straight forward, but there's enough out there already.

Maybe it could be a place to source all products in one? Like a price comparison place for AE, TGM and others.

The problem with the net is that most things have already been thought of and done.

Maybe it could be a one stop shop of all information on everything with regards to aquascaping?

16. Goodygumdrops

Goodygumdrops Member

Thing is though,and I know someone has already thought of it AND done it.But there's probably more action on the buy/sell/swap section on here than there is on the whole of that auction site.

17. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Still no spawning with mine, but it's only 10 months on, and they are probably just coming into young adulthood. :rolleyes:

18. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

The thing is an auction site would take some serious marketing and would need a lot of time to become sucessfull.

I dont see the point in a blog site because theres numerous forums where people would prefer to go unless you are some aquascaping guru with ground breaking discoveries.

Why not go for a tank showcase where people can upload pictures of their tanks... or perhaps a journal site?

19. Goodygumdrops

Goodygumdrops Member

Get a cheap Mr Site package and you can also add on a little shop to sell your excess plants.Would be good for inexperienced (hell even experienced ones) to see the plants in action so to speak and be able to buy them too.You might be surprised,I have a little site that chugs along beside my shop doing reasonably well with no advertising at all.