• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Braceless tank question

Mortis

Since my tank size is pretty much fixed for the foreseeable future and a rescape is long overdue, I am making a new tank out of extra clear glass. The current tank is 30x18x16 inches LBH made out of 8mm glass and is rimless and braceless. The new tank will be 30x18x18 also with 8mm extra clear glass on all 4 sides and the base will be 12mm regular glass. Can I go ahead with the build without adding braces even though I have increased the height by 2 inches ?

That is quite a big tank. Glass are quite tough but it takes just a tip of diamond to shatter it. I would suggest to put the braces nevertherless. Better sure than sorry

I for got to add that there will some weight of the hood as well on top of the tank. Honestly I dont like bracing along the sides as they block my filter pipes and in the centre because its in the centre !! how about if I just add the braces at the bottom of the tank instead ? Along with using 12mm for the base if I run 2 inch wide 12mm braces along both sides front to back and maybe one in the centre ?

Back