• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Braided wire stop end support

Andrew Butler

I'm after shortening some braided wire which is capped and those caps are the supporting part which I will still need to support the fixture. Can anyone offer any advice here please? I think the wire is 1.5mm diameter.

There is a hanging system I uses with my lights (and forgot to photo) which has a Y and I would like to shorten the divided Y section and to do this would need to replicate something similar to pictured below which would support the light.
https://www.kanlux.com/pl/produkt/7870/ROPE-NT-150

20191213_174733.jpg
20191213_174747.jpg
20191213_174831.jpg

He @Siege thanks for the suggestions, there's two places I want to do something:
The one which would be load baring* would need to be a 'little nugget' as it sits below the dome you can see in the photo above and then also in situ below on a modified Twinstar S *I say load baring as there is no weight to the twinstar but would want it to be secure. I'm just looking to make the inverted 'Y' smaller.
The other place would be so I could shorten the wire you can adjust the height on and just neaten it up.

Photo below is pulled up but would sit lower and I would want to cut the wire and add something just to neaten the end up like your first suggestion.

20191213_201545.jpg

Warm the nipple up with a soldering iron or blow touch and fill the hole with solder - same equipment as you would used soldering copper pipes.

Warm the nipple up with a soldering iron or blow touch and fill the hole with solder - same equipment as you would used soldering copper pipes.
Thanks for the input,
This is something I have looked into and just have a couple of questions over quite how well it would hold and also whether Aluminium would be the best material choice given it would melt quite easily. Do I heat the wire and try sliding it on so I can get the wire hot enough; I've no experience of this exact scenario so any words of experience?

A couple of suitible size crimps will hold the light no problem, just squeeze them with pliers, there isn't much weight in our lights
Thanks Karl, something like this I was looking at earlier might work. I'd like to fuse them together with some heat too so it get's in amongst the wire strands but unsure about fusing aluminium to steel using heat. This is only given the tiny dimensions of the wire and fitting I would need.

Is only holding a few kilos total weight and crimps on 1.25mm SS braided wire will easy hold that just squashed on without the crimping tool IMO I Landed a 200Kg arapaima on a noteless knot on braided nylon
Thanks Karl
I've some spare wire and plenty of ferrules coming so I can have an experiment first and see how it turns out.

Is only holding a few kilos total weight and crimps on 1.25mm SS braided wire will easy hold that just squashed on without the crimping tool IMO I Landed a 200Kg arapaima on a noteless knot on braided nylon

Now that's a story I want to hear!! And an interesting way of giving an example of the pressure these things can take. I've never thought of it like that but you're right. Some of the fishing kit I've used over time has taken some serious weight/work

I went to Gillhams in Thailand a couple of years ago and got snapped up by a monster arapaima (150kgs plus). My adrenalin was through the roof and then came crashing down! When it tail walked it was unbelievable to see. Fortunately a couple of decent Siamese carp made up for it a little

Gillhams in Thailand

Same here in 2014 made the News Letter
upload_2019-12-16_13-6-20.png

Plan to return OFC The Pic of the arapaima 440lb was a poor one and wasnt in the newsletter. the 280lb arapaima put up a better fight all the same.

Fantastic! What a haul! That place is amazing. I loved the stock pond, let alone the main lake. I had the pleasure of a couple of redtails, couple of Siamese and then a load of small stuff from the stock pond (well I say small, up to 20-30lb). Plus the arapaima, although that was just few a minutes before I lost it unfortunately. We were only there two days, one night. I'd love to go back. France ruined my English fishing, Spain ruined my French fishing and Thailand just blew everything out of the water

Andrew - apologies for hijacking the thread

So; the ferrules have arrived and here's a comparison of the 2.
I'm going to try melting one on and see how that goes and compare that to just crimping it on with pliers as @Zeus. suggested and see how they compare, maybe a mixture of the 2 will work best and shape them.

ferrule compare.jpg

Think I would be tempted to solder them 'if' you have the tools to do it- bit of plumbers solder ,flux and heat source, tin the wire first if you decide to solder. Otherwise just nip the crimp in a vice and file it up till it fits.

Think I would be tempted to solder them 'if' you have the tools to do it- bit of plumbers solder ,flux and heat source, tin the wire first if you decide to solder. Otherwise just nip the crimp in a vice and file it up till it fits.
I've got electrical type soldering irons and a plumbers torch loaded with MAP gas which I think might be a bit fierce for the Aluminium so probably some Propane in there. Agree about giving the wire a clean and tin first which was always part of the plan; thinking of heating the wire up and just running a clean piece of Aluminium against it. Unsure what flux would be correct for use here.
As the ferrules are meant for crimping and not soldering/melting/brazing etc I guess the insides aren't clean either.
Hmmmmmm trial and error and a little more research needed; watch some expert videos on youtube maybe?!?

Once they're on it would just be a case of shaping and cleaning them up a bit.

Back