• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Branch

My lotus leaves are getting holes, first It turns thin and papery like it was burned, then the spots decays and then it decays fully. I upped ferts but I'm not sure if this was the cause, anyone else have ideas? No signs of increased algae or other plants with issues atm. Dont think the lotus is sensitive to easycarbo nor do I think I put any near It.
potassium deficiency?

Looks like pretty extensive leaf damage :oops: My first suspect with this kind of dramatic necrosis is always chemical damage, but you have thought of that and say you are careful. Maybe keep up the extra ferts, stop the easycarbo for a while, see if it gets better and then reintroduce the carbo and see if it starts up again?
A different random idea (I have no data to support this), could the bulb be damaged? Maybe you could see if you can take a peek at it without uprooting the plant, perhaps it is rotting for some reason?

Hmm one of the bulbs was partially uprooted.. could be that is related. I will minimize liquid carb usage, keep ferts upped and monitor the coming weeks.
In the meantime, shy blue beauty slyly lurks between shades of green.
20220125_132524.jpg

Still some bba on hardscape but spot dosing keeps it in check. I upped light duration and intensity with 15 minutes and 3%. Plants reacted by growing faster en better (I think). Now trying to keep it as stable as possible. Decaying leaves have stopped, so it must have been deficiency.
20220202_154724.jpg

On a side note, how do you people throw away spare blyxa? I cant, it keeps ending up in places that were left deliberately empty... eventually all will be blyxa I fear. Ill end with 3 random shots I like.
20220202_152855.jpg

20220202_152523.jpg

20220202_152607.jpg

20220216_174821.jpg

Not much to report. Shrimp from the breeding colony in the sump have made it into the tank somehow meaning they got into the return chamber and went into the return pomp and managed not to be diced by the propeller somehow. Large shrimp too. Or does the water not pass the propeller? Still fighting some bba on hardcape and on the pinatifida. I need to cut back some plants as its getting that jungly vibe again but part of me doesnt want to as it wants everything to become jungle. Jungle with as much blyxa as possible. I do not possess the art of less is more. More is also more, right?
I was given 6 more embers as refuges from a fellow aquarist whose tank had burst. They were readily welcomed.

Bba has exploded after co2 ran out and I didnt notice. Manual removal and lots of spot dosing easycarbo. I think I am winning but keep discovering new patches.

20220314_195718.jpg

All hail his majesty pearl:
20220310_183427.jpg

And all hail the true jewel in the tank, mr Borelli:
20220325_180226.jpg

And the jesters:
20220325_181558.jpg
20220325_181615.jpg

20220524_205242.jpg

Starting to get to that jungle phase. Still some bba but despite neglect its not too bad. However, I am getting surgery in a few days and after that I am not allowed to do much for 6 weeks. Ill do a water change the day before, but after that I cant for 3 to 6 weeks depending on how recovery goes. Anyone have some advice on how to minimize damage for the coming 6 weeks of no maintenance?

Looks lovely. Hope surgery recovery goes fast. I mean you could start to scale back dosing,lights and feeding for now. Or can you not teach someone to help you do a small water change each week?
Or having a proper jungle after 6 weeks is also part of the fun to restart the trimming cycle again? Something to look forward to? :)

So, almost a year down the line. Ive stopped co2, switched to leaner ferts. The plants are a bit meh, some cope better then others. Fish are still happy, havent lost much over the past year. But I myself am not, I find myself hardly looking at it, even though i dont dislike the look I just feel its time for something new to get me back into it. And I am thinking I just might go for a european freshwater tank. Ditch heater, maybe get a cooler. Main occupant would be rhodeus occelatus (12 or so), some Gasterosteus aculeatus and maybe a few gobies. Add to that various pondsnails, freshwater clams and hopefully harmless invertebrates.

Back