• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Branded White Filter Pads vs The sheets of filter stuff

RolyMo

Hi
Every time I go to my LFS to get my monthly supply of Juwel Compact White Filter pads I see the large sheets or rolls of what looks like the same material albeit you cut it to shape.

My question - Is it the same stuff? does it work? is more cost effective? I have a Juwel Bioflo3 or the one that is in the Rio 180 kit.

Likewise confused as to whether I need to replace the various coloured pads as directed by the manufacturer or does a rinse/squeeze work as some people are indicating. I guess the active carbon one needs replacing at some point.

Appreciate any clarification.
Thanks in advance.
R

do not change any sponges until they start falling apart- this could take many years. buy the cheapest white pads you can find, cutting to shape is fine.

i have an eheim filter and i bought some replacement white pads from a website as the pack of ten was way cheaper. when they arrived they weren't in any branded packaging. they look the same and I'm not complaining as they're doing the job fine. however, im pretty sure this company is doing exactly what you say and just cutting some to shape using a template. i'm going to do exactly that for my next lot and save me a bob or two!

Yes the larger sheets are just the same and can be cut to size, You do not really need to replace the pads, just wash them in the water from the water change.

You can go even cheaper, if you buy hollow pillow fibre from the department store.
Just make sure it has not been treated with fire retardent.

Hi, the big sheets of filter foam are exactly the same as the juwel stuff only cheaper. I have used a big pond filter floss for my tank and just cut them to size as they are needed. There is no need to replace the sponges, just squeeze them out in old tank water every couple of months. I replaced my carbon sponge with a box of the cirax and threw away the nitrate sponge.

I think you know this but don't squeeze the white pad into the tank, you'll put the dirt back in.

Just rinse in a bowl of tank water to remove the dirt then replace.

I use Ebay copies of the Juwel media for my tank, filters foam, charcoal foam (before planted tank) and floss. Have been doing for years no problem.

Did go though a phase of cutting my own filter foam, but I found virtually impossible to get a nice clean edge on my cuts. Much better by freezing the foam in water and cutting the ice block using a power saw, but in the end much easier to buy pre-cut.

I also wash my foams, in bucket of tank water and only replace once they start loosing their shape/strength.

Moved away from cutting my own filter floss as well, just buy the Ebay ready cut to size. Bought a huge bag of pre-cut squares of floss (52 off !!!) in summer 2010 and it is still going. Also rinse clean the floss, but starts to fall apart after one or two washes, so I just replace.

The white pads tend to be a floss/wool medium - once clogged they don't seem, to me, to take as nicely to cleaning as they're not as firm so they break up, the sheets are easily as good as the higher priced shaped pads, and as you say - much cheaper!

Back