• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brandis Edge (Flamingo)

Ian Holdich

New journal time!

Something a little different than the last few scapes.

Tank, TMC 60x45x30
Lights, 1x TMC 1500 ultima
Filter, Ehiem 2073
Substrate, Nutrasoil, Tropica Substrate and Unipac Samoa
C02 @ 1bps via an atomiser inline
Hardscape, Dragon Stone and bogwood root
Plants, HC, Willow moss, Ricardia, Crinum, mini hairgrass, E, Parvula, Cladafora, C Parva, Amania bonsai.

pics to follow in 10 mins!

Cheers George!

gCXbbwz.jpg

4Wy9IDG.jpg

badbXAJ.jpg

Fgeb4WT.jpg

Nice :) very different from your last scape, stunning root aswell

Thanks Mark, the root is in 2 pieces, and joined together. With the cladafora on the joins.

One more thing, I'm not using RO water in this scape as the water meter doesn't like it. Going to see is there's much difference...

No water meter -> way forward. Although sadly you can't go back.

I do use a lot of rainwater for stuff around the house though, so I'm not destroying the planet too badly, and the RO waste goes on the garden.

I look forward to seeing this one develop, I like the overall structure but grown in will be the making of this one.

Very nice Ian, the wood root is stunning! And I like how you have joined the two together, I would not of noticed at all - I'm looking forward to seeing more pics now.... Have you moved your tank to the other side of your room?

No water meter -> way forward. Although sadly you can't go back.

I do use a lot of rainwater for stuff around the house though, so I'm not destroying the planet too badly, and the RO waste goes on the garden.

I look forward to seeing this one develop, I like the overall structure but grown in will be the making of this one.

It really wasn't cost effective for me, I was getting it from the lfs, but with petrol it wasn't much cheaper than making my own. That's not to say ill never go back to using it, as the fish choice is better with RO.

Will the Crinum not get too big?

That's the idea, I want it to run along the water surface just behind the stump. It should look ok.

Very nice Ian, the wood root is stunning! And I like how you have joined the two together, I would not of noticed at all - I'm looking forward to seeing more pics now.... Have you moved your tank to the other side of your room?

Thank you Gary, I did think about screwing the wood together, but decided against it in the end and joined it with cladafora.

And yes, we've had a new carpet fitted and 'she' wanted back in its original position. I'll get some in situ pics in a day or so.

Your on to a winner there mate! Love the plant choice & the root is so cool :)

Was excited when I first saw you we're doing a new scape...always know it's going to be one to watch! You can see a lot of thought has gone into the layout.

Good luck, sure it will turn out great Ian.

It really wasn't cost effective for me, I was getting it from the lfs, but with petrol it wasn't much cheaper than making my own. That's not to say ill never go back to using it, as the fish choice is better with RO.

I like the control that RO gives me, and have a box full of random salts to show for it.

That's the idea, I want it to run along the water surface just behind the stump. It should look ok.

I did look at the top of the stump and think that it needed something to break the surface with it, that was where my comment about growing in was aimed at.

Looks like its going to be another fantastic scape mate. I love how quick you seem to throw up a scape ian.
That would and marimo looks fantastic mate cant wait to see this grow in.

Ps that's why the mrs was getting stuck into the tank was it, because she wanted it moving ;).... I knew there was a catch lol

Your on to a winner there mate! Love the plant choice & the root is so cool :)

Was excited when I first saw you we're doing a new scape...always know it's going to be one to watch! You can see a lot of thought has gone into the layout.

Good luck, sure it will turn out great Ian.

Thank you Dave, hopefully the HC with take in the new soil, I'm always a little wary about HC in aquasoils.

Good to see your tank with hardscape in it again, another top scape in progress Ian.

Thank you Tim, I love hardscape! Lol

Looks like its going to be another fantastic scape mate. I love how quick you seem to throw up a scape ian.
That would and marimo looks fantastic mate cant wait to see this grow in.

Ps that's why the mrs was getting stuck into the tank was it, because she wanted it moving ;).... I knew there was a catch lol

Cheers Al, a lot of prep and thinking went into this one. I had to use Marimo after using it at the tank for tropica. It brings a new angle to a bit of wood.

And yes, you're right about the mrs! Lol

Very nice. My only worry would be the right corner, which tends to get hidden and a little dark behind the root and the lily pipe. But perhaps this will be addressed by the Crinum getting taller.

Thomas

Thank you Thomas, hopefully the Crinum will spread out in the darker area, and sort the darker area.

Back