• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brandis Edge (Flamingo)

Beautiful ian. Your source of inspiration is almost mirror like. Id be digging that huge stump up ha ha.
I love the loach too flapping it's fins. Hope you keep it for all your future scapes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Al, i wish I could get some better video of it, my pc is playing up like a good un! I will be keeping the loach I reckon, they are great characters and always out and about. He seems to be thriving as well. You'll have to get a couple for your scape!

Cheers guys, thanks Johan, they weren't aggressive, so I can put up with some dominance. They are male and female though, they've been id on a loach site. There mouths are different, apparently this is how you sex them.

Hi Ian,
what a great thread this is. Thanks for all the info which is so helpful to people like myself.
It appears you're main gripe with tap water is that it is far more 'labour intensive', would you agree?
Got to say having seen what can be achieved by this method only serves to spur me on and give it my best shot;) Just one question, you say the Purigen doesn't last as long in hard water, how often do you have regenerate it?

Hey mate, the main differences I have found with hard tap water vs Ro is...

Plants need A LOT more c02 than normal Ro
Plant don't pearl as much with hard water
More gda in the tank than with RO
Snails get bigger with hard tap water
The lily pipes need cleaning more often with tap water
Purigen doesn't last as long with tap water
It's taken a lot longer for plants to 'take' with tap water

I won't be using tap water again, I'll be going back to Ro on the next scape.

Good reasons to go with RO - kind answers all my questions about, thanks.

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

Hi Ian,
what a great thread this is. Thanks for all the info which is so helpful to people like myself.
It appears you're main gripe with tap water is that it is far more 'labour intensive', would you agree?
Got to say having seen what can be achieved by this method only serves to spur me on and give it my best shot;) Just one question, you say the Purigen doesn't last as long in hard water, how often do you have regenerate it?

Thank you Harry, I would say that the beginning of the tank was more labour intensive, you have to be on top of daily water changes with harder water. Only in the last week have I started doing 2-3 water changes a week. It's doing really well now. I use 250g of purigen and it lasts 3 months or so in hard water before it needs recharging. In RO I didn't need to recharge it as it remained a white colour.

Heres a couple new pics. Here's a nice Crypt Flamingo, it looks nice in the scape, just adds that little bit more colour.

10782389713_4436dbd808_z.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

And a side shot of the scape

10782237954_dab361a433_z.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

It's stunning Ian, I love the little Crypt as it just gives a focal point among the HC. Looks like I'll need to buy more Purigen as I only bought 100ml:lol:. thanks for your help.
Harry

Lovely detailing , as normal - that crypt has got to go though!

Back