• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bredding Bosesemani's?

Nick16

hi guys, had a quick trawl around on google, and i know these things do breed but how easy is it?
any tips on doing this apart from feeding more with high protein foods..

also, if i want to have these in my tank, is it best to have 2F to 1M? how do you tell the differance? (is it that the males are more coloured?) - it will be hard to tell in the LFS where all their fish are only 50% coloured up.

I know LondonDragon bred his without intending to, which means he must have one male one female. ;) It can't be too hard.

They're egg scatterers AFAIK and spawn best over/in mops. Best thing to do is get a shoal for your tank when they've grown and are mature and ready to breed move a pair over to a separate breeding tank. Generally with egg scatterers if you move a trio one fish will not be involved in the spawning and will go around eating the eggs as the pair spawn!

i knew they were egg scaterers, i dont have another tank, my new project (hopefully) will be my only tank.
so i will have to provide much plant cover, and if i spot babies i might have to catch them in a breeding net or something.
does anyone know where i can buy a large breeding net? that actually attaches well, i have one with suckers and it is useless. i have another smaller one with metal hooks and it is fab.

You can get plastic floating ones from Aqua Essentials that are quite good. I can vouch for them but don't know if they'll be big enough for you.

You might be able to get hold of bigger ones if you search around but apart from that you could make your own? Maybe just use a large fish net or something.

i dont know how to make it work, i could probably get a large net cheap, but its making it stay to the top and i cant tie it to the sides of the tank as its too big.

i need one thats like 30x30x30 maybe even 20x20x20cm
that clips on really well.

im tempted just to buy a small 40L tank and have it sitting on my floor for when i do need a breeding tank.

thing is my 120L has rasboras in it, (12 of them) i could put them in my 20L nano but then i like them in my large tank.
if i had a big breeding net that would be my answer.

My pair have bred numerous times in the tank but only when there isn't too much flow and there is a very high plant mass, about 60% of the tank covered in plants, also found that the moss wall really encouraged them to breed.
I never managed to raise the fry because I don't have another tank and the adults always eat the fry, you have to separate them.

theres no trick to breeding them, if your serious then set up your own breeding tank with an egg divider to stop the parents eating them, mine just done it on there own, i only noticed as i ws moving tank and saw some little things moving around. they breed from quite small but do eventually get quite big, sexing is easy when they are big but best of just getting 5/6 small ones to get a nice pair. i ended up with 3 and they are breeding al the time but leave them in there for the other fish to eat.

best thing i would reccomend is to lay some sort of wool down on a clear bit of your tank, mine always breed in the open, every few weeks, you will notice it when they both go near the bottom and start jigging, once you notice the beahviour them move the wool into a breeding trap.

if they are the only fish in the tank i would just leave them to it, plant heavily and feed well and let nature take its course, its like guppies, eventually you will have loads unless your other fish get hungry!

it all depends on what size broods you want to grow up, if you just want a couple just trial and error a few ways and see what works.if your struggling, getting them to breed i would say the thing that got mine to breed is placing the tank so it gets about2 hours of sunlight in the morning, thats what triggered mine and they havent stopped ever since!

Back