• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding angels in community? 125ltr

jay

Well If you've checked out my thread in the journals forum, you'll know the tankspecs
here it is

Its for my dad to keep and look after. He's from the old school of fishkeeping... oscars, angels, general community and even discus at one point. But he never knew of planting and waterchanging every week etc...
So I've been teaching him the basics and e's dying to get some fish into the tank (waiting for Aqua Soil to cycle).
He wants quite a few smaller fish, thats tetras to you and me, and he really wants a couple of angels.

Question..... How should I go about getting a pair and what amount of community fish could I hold in the tank safely with the angels?
My 7 corydoras are a definite.

Thanks

If you want to get a pair then I'd recommend getting a shoal of 6 and letting them pick their own partners. However in a 125l tank, once a pair forms they will probably dominate the tank and you may have to remove the others. Why 6? Well I bought 4 wild angels and, once the pair formed they were merciless and killed one of the spares before I realised anything was wrong! The other now can't mix with them even in a 180l tank. More fish would help to spread the aggro out more and may allow you to keep all 6.

As to breeding them; only wild angels seem to have any kind of broodcare instincts so if you want them to breed in a community tank (rather than just spawn in one) then I'd go with wilds (IMHO they look the best too).

Cories should be fine partners, especially if the tank is deep, as they breed off the floor of the tank. They will get chased around a bit though. I'd get a shoal of medium sized tetras to go with them - Bleeding hearts or diamonds would be great.

Yeah, I secomd that RE: the angels. Cories sounds good too.

I would also get some medium sized fish, but make sure they are above 5cm or they'll soon be food when the angels grow up. A shoal of about 10-15 Cardinals, Rummynoses, Bleeding Hearts etc.

Guess I should've named the thread "paired" angels. Not really bothered about brood care, he had angels before that ate eggs.
Could easily get 6 juveniles in their, then once i see a pair form, remove the rest into my tank till I get them back to the shop.
Just don't want them going at each other all the time.
Although wilds would be amazing, I'm not sure if he's up for that challenge of keeping the water THAT good. Got to be wild colours though.

Speaking of rummies and cardinals, thinking I could persuade him to take mine, then I can get new stock!!!

I'm so crafty 8)

i think you could keep atleast 6 in their if they are no bigger then 3 inches and the tank is planted

your tank will be overstocked but the plants will take care of excess fish waste nitrates etc..

No chance of letting it get over stocked. I want this to be as easy as possible for him. I don't want to see it and start having to help him out every 5 minutes.... I've got my hands full with my tank :)

I think 6 adult angels will look very crammed in 125! I'm hopefully getting some juvenile angels at the weekend and they will go into my Rio 125 to grow and then into a bigger tank. If I get a pair, I might let them stay as a pair in the tank but that will be enough angels in that tank with a small shoal of tetras, corys and possibly an algae eater.

I have a pair of Angels in my 240l tank and they are fine with the cories. They also leave my ottos alone which I was a bit worried about when I put them in as one of the angels is quite large! I have red-eyed tetra in with them too and apart from chasing them out of "their" space, they leave themalone too. (the ottos also leave the angels alone too, was a bit worried about them attaching to the angels!). Unless you have soft water or use RO the eggs won't hatch anyway, so if you're not worried about the other fish eating the eggs while the angels sleep and you don't want to actually breed them a community should be fine as far as I know!

Cheers people.
Yeah I think getting a group of juveniles will be good, get a pair and give back the rest.
Don't plan on breeding them, just have a bit of peace in the tank. Couple of shoals of tetra and a few ottos.

Back