• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus)

Two males have now joined Lady. In a few mins they were already interacting.
Lights off now and I'm sat watching! A few photos and a video has been taken and will be added tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, i'm not sure if I should remove all in the morning or wait till tomorrow evening, any ideas?

Superman said:
Two males have now joined Lady. In a few mins they were already interacting.
Lights off now and I'm sat watching! A few photos and a video has been taken and will be added tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, i'm not sure if I should remove all in the morning or wait till tomorrow evening, any ideas?

I'm not sure... How will you know when/if they've done the deed?

Superman said:
I was hoping that I'd find them having a cig in the morning but no luck. The female still looked as big as before so don't think she's laid the eggs, so left them to it.

Hmm... I'e never actually bred fish like this in practise, but have read a lot about it. I'm not sure how large or visible the eggs will be if/when they are laid, but I think the most obvious way to tell if it's all gone to plan is when the female is smaller in size.

Superman said:
No evident sign of anything yet although one of the males was found dead on the carpet last night. Poor thing.
I'm going to put another male in the tank tonight, although not sure what else I can do.

what a shame... are you sure you need to use two males? still feeding live food?

I've been PM'ing someone at Fish Forums.net who's got experience in this field. He's suggested that...

- up temp to 24-25C
- Must have more females to males
- Live food not an issue

So I now have a different male (much larger in size but same colouration) and 4 females in the tank.

Will leave them to settle for an hour and treat them to brine shrimp.

I'm at a loss mate, must admit I have equal numbers, but I just leave them all alone in my main tank and although it is a laborious task I watch out for fry and eggs at water change time.

I vac the main spawning areas and am rewarded with fry every week, I can't bear to let a fish die so like today I try to avoid areas and do a water change high up in the column. I still ended up putting 11 fry into a fry tank.

I have noticed that the males can be a little cichlid like and set up territories in the tank, so space will be needed to keep more males in.

i think the best thing to do is experiment for yourself and see what works for you. it's good to follow advice though, but at the end of the day each fish is different.

i know what you mean about looking out for eggs, though. just little small round white things i guess :lol:

LOL, they are hard to spot - about 1mm across and clear. They are also not sticky either.

Best thing is to watch for them pairing up and starting to shimmy with each other, good chance you'll have some after that. First time I realised I had had some action was when I saw around 20 fry free swimming at the top of the tank, I had to segregate them before they were all eaten by the parents though.

I think I might of seen two eggs laid out on the bare bottom of the tank. But then it could be anything as I will turn anything with a 1% chance of looking like an egg into it being a deffo egg.

The fish are not interacting anymore and think some look less fat but not 100% sure. If they have laid, the eggs must be sat amongst the moss mat and I wouldn't be able to see them at all!

Just come across your post at the CPD forum Clark. Have to say, you are intending on these little guys occupying your 180, yes?
If it doesn't work out with the separate spawning tank, then let them into the main tank and watch the areas that they spawn at, then just vac that area and put the water plus anything else that comes out into the fry tank.

i think setting up a larger setup would be better. that way, you can cram it full ow moss, dump all the cpd's in there and let them spawn naturally so that none of the other fish can eat the eggs, and there'll be extra cover because its a spawning tank. it'll also probably be easier because you're letting them spawn naturally and you can learn from it easier.

Back