• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Green Neons

Onoma1

I asked the manager of my LFS if they had any Green Neon Tetra's in stock and was met with a baffled look. Sort of simultaneously peering over her glasses, raising her eyebrows and sucking her teeth. I now understand that these fish are as now 'rare as bloody unicorns' . I understand that Tropco do have a few of these fabled fish, however, given my recent experiences of them delivering dead fish to me in exquisite packaging and then going through a process similar to the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch to get a refund I won't be buying from them.

I had thought of breeding a few from my existing stock and wondered if anyone had any experience of breeding them or tips on how to do this?

They should be easy enough to find, most wholesalers stock them now and they’re widely available.

In regards to breeding it doesn’t seem like they’re spawned as regularly as cardinals and neons. I’d imagine you’d need extremely soft, tannin stained water and would maybe need to raise the eggs in darkness. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Cheers

Wholesale tropicals usually can get anything you want if you ask them to reserve or order it, apparently the fish is not bred commercially so i imagine most stock is wild caught, if you were to breed them it would be a real achievement for yourself. :)

I’d imagine you’d need extremely soft, tannin stained water and would maybe need to raise the eggs in darkness.

Cheers

My friend bred some (unfortunately they are no longer with us) and it was basically this setup. He had some keeping a tank cycled for a new wild apistogramma and they bred on their own. The first batch didn't do to well and only a few survived but the next was better.

Back