• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Sakuras?

Spartacus

Hello Folks,

Just a quick and simple query to ask - Google isn't helping.

If I buy say 10 Sakuras and they breed will the offspring look like Sakura shrimp or Cherry shrimp?

I quite like the intense colour of Sakura but if the offspring tend to look like RCS then I may aswell just buy RCS as I wont be culling for colour :)

Thank You,

Murray

Technically they should come out as Sakura but as we know Nature does not always stick to the "rules" :D you may get some come out not so deeply coloured.
You would need to occasionally source Sakura from elsewhere to add "new blood".

As Miranda has pointed out, they should mostly be the same. But you will occasionally get some not so well coloured, whilst others may even be better than the parents. That's why you occasionally see people selling off Sakura cull grades. You can bet your wallet that they kept back the good ones though!

Breeding in RCS will not necessarily lower the grade of the offspring though. One sellers interpretation of Sakura maybe closer to RCS and quite often visa versa, but of course they are basically the same shrimp and all high grade sakura will have come from basic RCS grade. If you see an LFS selling well coloured RCS snap a few up.

For instance, you may find a shrimp displaying nicer leg colour that had come from a standard RCS colony.Continually concentrating the better coloured shrimp together wether for body or leg colour will improve your colony.

Thanks for taking the time to chip in everyone - I like the look of CRS but tbh I need a more robust shrimp due to "me" :)

Due to having a Seiryu stone 'overdose' in my new tank I will stick with Sakuras and maybe one day get CRS.

Thanks again for the insight :)

Murray

It's well worth keeping an eye out in LFS'S particularly the independent one's as I got some superb RCS in my local one which were deep solid red with red legs ;)

Back