• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bridge O'er Blackened Water (to Clearwater)

For anyone that might be intrigued, the swamp cypress leaves produce this lovely golden tint to the water. This is closer to the golden/amber colour I'm aiming for as opposed to red or brown.
7E382979-581C-4CD0-93A8-516AAB85761B.jpeg

I wish there was a compilation of botanicals and the colour tint they produce, because they're all very different! Maybe it can go in your botanical thread ahem @shangman . 👀

F8BF14FD-CD36-494E-9DF8-277E8062818B.jpeg

Great looking tank @Courtneybst , looking forward to see how it continuous to develop. From memory I think Fargesia rufa leaves provided a light yellow tint, with very little red in it, might be worth a try if you want more variation and have some (or other bamboo species) nearby.

Maybe someday, in far different future. @dw1305 , @Wookii , and @shangman will compile something 🤔
Maybe we could make a forum thing of it? Have a standardized method with say a couple of grams of leaves in a dl of water, with photos after a week or so. Even if just a fraction of us add to it, we could still have a pretty extensive list within a month.

Great looking tank @Courtneybst , looking forward to see how it continuous to develop.
Thank you Tyko!
I think Fargesia rufa leaves provided a light yellow tint, with very little red in it, might be worth a try if you want more variation and have some (or other bamboo species) nearby.
Interesting, that's great to know. I actually have a few bits of dried bamboo in my botanical box, I could try those out and see what happens. It's a true medley of leaves at the moment! 😅
Maybe we could make a forum thing of it? Have a standardized method with say a couple of grams of leaves in a dl of water, with photos after a week or so. Even if just a fraction of us add to it, we could still have a pretty extensive list within a month.
That could be a shout. It's quite a mammoth task for one person. Also the standardised method of testing makes a lot of sense, I didn't even think of that.

I have lots of different leaves/other botanicals that could be tested at the moment, at least 10 different things.

I started to make one about this time last year and got so overwhelmed by all the things that would be to be done that I stopped lol. I wanted to make it a spreadsheet/table but the site doesn’t have that functionality and I wasn’t sure what format it should be in otherwise.

I’m totally happy to make a list of the species I know work, and a short list of species that 100% shouldn’t be used even though they look nice. And perhaps a list too of species which were not sure about, but could be great. If others could contribute more info about them as we try them that would really be great.

Can we link photos from other places of what the trees & leaves look like identification, or would we photograph as we find them?

Last edited:
bcde

👍
I did see that which is cool, the thing I really wanted was functionality to add coloured backgrounds, cos as a dyslexic person it makes reading and making tables much easier. I don't think that's possible (although perhaps it is?? help!), I was thinking I could make little image blocks of colour though maybe. Maybe it will be just good without.

Looking at the doc I made before, it seems like I started writing an introduction and then gave up lol. I really wanted to make it a fancy guide, but maybe it's good to just making a 'working' thread where we can all contribute and I can just edit the first post to add info as we have it and be less perfectionist about it! Better a group project :)

You can set styles in bb code, but this forum doesn’t have that enabled 👍

Rich (BB code):
[TABLE style="background-color:#000000"]

We Made The Crossing
Now we've crossed the bridge, we're in clear water again!
F8E17623-ED6F-4884-9607-826A26748F68.jpeg

I had fun with the botanicals and the oddities that came with this tank but I'm a plant guy at heart and wanted them back! Not only was it very difficult to see the shrimp, the botanical setup was reminding me too much of autumn/winter when spring is just on the horizon. I wanted something brighter, open and fresh.
407B7F94-C35B-46EE-B354-23417F45DFE2.jpeg

One of the main reasons I got Cardina shrimp was to see them breed, and I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't breed in this tank. Was it the temperatures? I added a heater and no dice. Feeding? I fed them more often. Nada. Lighting? I exposed them to more sunlight and LED. Nothing. Water parameters? Even when I got to target levels, no babies.
FBD6829F-3A93-45EE-9C7A-562F2C50BE5C.jpeg

I sat and thought about what was different about the last tank they were in that caused them to breed. If anything the last tank had very little water volume, unstable temperatures, erratic feeding, at times unknown water parameters. But what it did have is aquasoil (a lot of it), and I think that was buffering the water to the ideal parameters for breeding. So I've gone back to that in hopes they'll start again.
29999FFD-4863-4A25-9D3F-1E692B2946E6.jpeg

I've kept the hardscape as I deliberately made it one solid piece that could be removed easily. I will resurrect it soon. I've gone for an iwagumi layout which is not usually my vibe at all, but recently I've had the urge to do it so I knew that was the right time. I picked up some lovely Ice Age rock at Riverwood Aquatics with @shangman and made a simple layout. Nothing crazy, no contest level aquascaping, just something that ticks my boxes. I love the crystal confirmations in the crevices and the character of these pieces rivals any good Frodo or Elderly stone. I believe the Ice Age stone is quartz and won't have any affect on the water.
1C072E68-7080-4430-9447-9FD15B2E05E2.jpeg

I'm going for low energy, so I'm using a carpet of Monte Carlo as it's one of the easiest to do without CO2. There's no way I'd only do a single plant species though, it would just go against everything I believe in! 😅 So along the crevices I'll plant some Cryptocoryne parva, Litorella uniflora, Anubias barteri 'Mini Coin' and Susswassertang. In the back I'll plant Cryptocoryne albida brown, Microsorum 'Mini' (unidentified) and I'd like something that resembles albida brown but is green. I can't seem to find anything with the same leaf thickness. I think the challenge will be balancing the higher light needs of the Monte Carlo with the lower light needs of everything else and I wonder if I can counter this with a fast grower... maybe just a few floaters initially.
B5703F28-6656-4566-9D0D-B415C95CA6A4.jpeg

The shrimp are chilling out in a bucket with the filter and heater until parameters are more stable again.

Woop woop.

I love Litorella uniflora but every time I've tried it, its been a suuuuuper slow grower.

How did you find scaping the tank with such thin dimensions?

You should treat yourself to a Nano Algea Magnet. I can't recommend this one enough!

I love Litorella uniflora but every time I've tried it, its been a suuuuuper slow grower.
Yeah I've tried it once and all that happened is it got covered in BBA! I wonder if the same thing will happen this time... It is a painfully slow grower.
How did you find scaping the tank with such thin dimensions?
It was harder to do with rock compared to wood. At least with wood you can cut it or snap bits off but the rock is solid. Also quite difficult to create adequate depth in a tank that's only as wide as my windowsill! I somehow imagined much more soil space, even when I tried it out in the dojo. But let's be honest, dojos are always generous.

We'll know whether I've achieved it once the plants go in.
You should treat yourself to a Nano Algea Magnet. I can't recommend this one enough!
Might have to! High tech iwagumis are a challenge enough let alone removing the CO2 😅

Hi all,
Yeah I've tried it once and all that happened is it got covered in BBA!
I've seen it in the wild (in the <"Burren turloughs"> when the "tide" was out) and it is a very insignificant plant. It grows well down, so must spend extended periods (even years?) submerged.

I'm struggling to visualise it as a suitable plant for tropical aquariums, although I read that it is found in S. America as well <"Littorella uniflora - Tropica Aquarium Plants">

It is a rare one in the UK, it grows on <"Skye etc.">, but not reliably in a lot of other places, which is why a lot of people used to want to see it (it is not only birds, there are wild-flower twitchers as well).

cheers Darrel

I've seen it in the wild (in the <"Burren turloughs"> when the "tide" was out)
I had no idea it grew here! That's really fascinating, and it makes sense when you look at how the plant is structured.

I'm going Skye this summer so hopefully I'll get to see it in the wild.
it is a very insignificant plant.
I guess in a way I'm going for a similar aesthetic. Contributing to the overall look and detail but not standing it in any way.

The tank will be unheated so that should help with this plant hopefully.

Hi all,
I'm going Skye this summer so hopefully I'll get to see it in the wild.
I've never been to Skye, but I believe it isn't uncommon there. You need it to be dry enough for there to be a "draw-down" zone around the edge of a loch etc.

If it is still underwater, it won't be flowering and it looks very much like Limosella aquatica, Isoetes spp., Lobelia dortmanna, Subularia aquatica, Juncus bulbosus etc. You might be able to find Eriocaulon aquaticum, it is a really rare one, it grows in W. Ireland as well, but it isn't a plant I've ever seen.

These plants go under the category of <"Isoetids"> because they tend to grow together in very nutrient poor (oligotrophic) conditions.

cheers Darrel

Back