• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bright orange slime on co2 pipes?

bumcrumb

hi all
i have noticed that where the plastic tubing for the co2 is in the water it is covered in a slimy orange coat?
so i removed the co2 diffuser which is a aqua gro disposable kit one and the two white suckers are also covered in this?
i wiped it of using a cotton bud and the pictures below will show you how orange it is.
i have no plants in there at the min or live stock.
any clue to what it is or how to get rid of it?
cheers :wideyed:

Photo081.jpg

Photo077.jpg

Photo075.jpg

Photo068.jpg

Photo052.jpg

its not on the actually diffuser though only on that silicone tubing and the 2 suckers, is it something to do with the material used? it smells like old water too but i do a 40% water change every 3 days? any ideas guys? :oops:

Hi bumcrumb
I got a horrible build of of junk on all of my rubber suckers in the early days of using CO2 in my tank. I wasn't sure if it was the CO2 that was causing it. It wasn't as bright as yours but still looked horrible all the same.
I can't say I've put my finger on the reason it's gone because I changed 2 things at the same time. I introduced shrimp to the tank at the same time I was upping the PO4 to combat some GSA, so I don't know if the PO4 'killed' it or the shrimps ate it :rolleyes:
All I know is I haven't got it now (or the GSA) :D

well Ive had the tank running for around 4 weeks or so (after the first set up was taken over with little critters) without any plants in, co2 or ferts.
i have just set it up and kept it running to mature the water in the filter and test the equipment.
i have just ordered some lilaeopsis from richard at aqua essentials so that will be the first plant, co2 dose and fert dose then.
could it be the dust from the clay based gravel settling?

hi steveuk
well I'm putting it down to dust and gunk myself, opened up the external filter and there is a little in there to so i just wiped it off.
never mind lol :crazy:

Back