• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bristelnose Plec

Gang@ukaps

Is it true that the above fish can damage plants leafs by sucking the chlorophyll for them. Are there any plants that these fish to do not like.

Regards
Paul

I don't know if this is true or not. But I have three in my 100gal and I've never had any problems with them.

Don't get a royal plec though! Mass plant devastation! lol I say this from experience!

I have kept and bred these fish for many years - I have found that unless they get cucumber on a daily basis they will rasp away at the leaves of some plants, leading to holes and death of leaves. New leaves on sword plants seem to be particularly vulnerable. Slice of cucumber sorts them out.

As with above, I've had juveniles in with plants that have left them alone but they were provided with fresh greens daily. I've got a couple in tanks with some "gash" plants and they have been munching away on them. Wide leaf plants can be targets for most plecos too.

Back