• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

British mosses

Paul Read

Hi
Can you grow mosses in a tropical aquarium that you find in Britain.
I have found 4 different looking mosses one was found on a stone next to a stream
I also found an aquatic plant if so one could id
7d657e7143eee4b5d29b3f4827e95da8.jpg
it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Other than the obvious Fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss) I know of one other species that I've read grows submerged, Amblystegium serpens. I plan on collecting some soon to give it a try.

No idea about the plant though sorry. I've not had much success with native aquatic plants, I think many need colder water than is possible indoors.

Hi all,
I also found an aquatic plant if so one could id
Water cress (Nasturtium "officinale") would be my guess.
Can you grow mosses in a tropical aquarium that you find in Britain.
Yes you can.

The thing I've found is that a lot of them do better in hard water, possibly because I collected them locally and it is all limestone here.

My daughter flooded <"this tank">. In May, but while she was away in the summer I failed to maintain sufficiently and 90% of the moss detached.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/nano-tanks.40470/#post-440395
dennerle1-jpg.84870.jpg

The moss is still growing really well, but is now a huge floating mass.

The mosses were <"Calliergonella cuspidata">, <"Drepanocladus aduncus"> & <"Leptodictyum riparium">,
and almost certainly a few others.

<"Aquasabi Flowgrow"> has some interesting comments on the mosses <"Leptodictyum">, <"Calliergonella"> & <"Drepanocladus">.

cheers Darrel

I have the hunge that all of them also have an aquatic form and in many if not most cases it completely differs from the terrestrial grow form.
As described with this Leptodictyum, growing in a stringy form submersed.. I found out that haircap moss does the same thing, the terrestrial form dies and rots away, but if it has a proper conditions it grows on in a new form which is rather stringy and not at all resambling haircap anymore. Also had a mnium sp. doing this. And some other unidentified sp. i found terrestrial.

For me it spoiled the fun a bit and stopped collecting and growing it with a submersed goal.. Till now it was waiting for months for it to addapt, transform and than turning into something stringy i already had enough of. :) If you throw it into the tank it might just look its dying at first, but it realy doesn't. I still have mosses roaming around in my tanks of which i have no clue what they are, they ressamble nothing i seen before. Could be of some moss i found in the forest or in my garden and grew on, on a piece of DW above the tank. :)

I had a phase of chucking any moss I found in a tank. More grew than not but most looked like stringy moss

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back