• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

British summer time

Would you vote for permanent British winter time or permanent British summer time?

• Total voters

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Well it's British summer time again. Thanks to an EU directive it could be one of the last times the clocks change. Member states get to decide whether they change their clocks for the last time in October or March. The UK is no longer in the EU but it's still likely to follow suit.

Would you vote for permanent British winter time (lighter mornings and darker evenings) or permanent British summer time (darker mornings and lighter evenings)?

Last edited:
Suspect darker mornings and lighter evenings would get my vote... can’t deal with the mind bending question of which way this would mean I would need to vote....
For British summer time Matt

I voted summertime but I actually don’t care, I just wish they’d stop messing about with my body clock twice a year. Beggars belief that any civilised society would do this. Just put the clocks forward 30 mins in summer or 30 minutes back in winter and leave it like it!

I'm up before 4am weekdays and always look forward to this time of year, into the summer, where I can see light early on in my shift. The idea of it getting light at 9am in the winter is quite depressing. Guess I like it how it is,

Hi all,
I'll be honest I hate getting up at any time of the day, and the first half an hour of any day is spent drinking a black coffee and contemplating the pointlessness of existence (and often it is all down hill from there for the rest of the day).

So for me "Double Summer Time" in the summer (GMT +2) and "British Summer Time" in the winter (GMT+1) for me. I need all the daylight I can get.

We had "Double Summer Time" in the 1970's (which I remember) and before that in the second world war (which I don't).

Some people might describe this (accurately) as European time, but I'm going to call it "Glorious Empire Time" to tap into the zeitgeist of the times.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I’m not going to bother trying to find a link but I read an article some years back saying studies had shown it was not healthy to get up early in the morning. The earliest suggested time for most people to rise in the morning being 08:30. I know lots of people who out of habit still get up at 07:00 like I used to have to, even though they no longer work. :crazy:

the first half an hour of any day is spent drinking a black coffee and contemplating the pointlessness of existence (and often it is all down hill from there for the rest of the day).

It’s not all black holes and stray photons lost across the universe yet.

Have the EU told Boris?:)

No he wasn't told, no sorry he lost the email, no it's a problem with communication, and anyway we are out of Europe. We won't be disadvantaged by not collaborating with those Europeans. We will go it alone and great British Companies will build a Great British Summertime. The fact that Dyson currently build vacuum cleaners and don't manufacture in the UK is irrelevant...we will win the war. Can't have any of that defeatist talk. Anyway, it's all the fault of the Chinese, they didn't give us enough notice on the change in time. Damm foreigners...can't be trusted.

Back