• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

British summer time

Would you vote for permanent British winter time or permanent British summer time?

• Total voters
Hi all,
Is it a comment on how cynical and undemocratic local government is? And how they manipulate questionnaire bias and data? I have firsthand experience of both...
I suppose it is, but we all have the right to vote and choose our representatives, possibly the issue is that the criteria that we choose those representatives on aren't always the right ones.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,.....but that is a sane and sensible suggestion, and "super moderator" sounds suspiciously like an expert

The expert opinion will of course be filtered through a political understanding of the situation and Tim will then be asked to present the response as unbiased representative of all experts.

I am sure Tim can explain to Boris that we have proved a fact, not a hypothesis, our approach to modelling this problem is not a construct and the data is (cough cough) comprehensive and accurate to allow generalizability.

The expert opinion will of course be filtered through a political understanding of the situation and Tim will then be asked to present the response as unbiased representative of all experts.

I am sure Tim can explain to Boris that we have proved a fact, not a hypothesis, our approach to modelling this problem is not a construct and the data is (cough cough) comprehensive and accurate enough to allow generalizability.

Hi all, I suppose it is, but we all have the right to vote and choose our representatives, possibly the issue is that the criteria that we choose those representatives on aren't always the right ones. cheers Darrel
Most folk are lazy when it comes to choosing representatives and just stick to what they know. They're probably never chosen on the basis of how they would perform under this or that situation.
But then I can understand why. Most politicians don't do anything unless it's in their interest; especially for the likes of us muggles; we don't have the benefit of a Hogwarts school tie :D

I am sure Tim can explain to Boris that we have proved a fact, not a hypothesis, our approach to modelling this problem is not a construct and the data is (cough cough) comprehensive and accurate to allow generalizability.
And then they'll completely ignore the facts and do whatever it is they were planning on doing anyway :p

@Tim Harrison I think the meeting will go really well, if you liken Boris to Winston Churchill, just don’t ask him how many kids his got!
Frankly, that'd have a far greater chance of success :rolleyes:

nce-they-wouldn-t-let-us-do-it-mark-twain-44-73-40.jpg
...what he said.

Hi all,
It might be that it looks like a conclusive win, but following some careful analysis of the figures it maybe that "BST 17 - GMT 2" is actually a vote for GMT.
I see since I wrote this there has actually been a stunning reversal in fortunes, with the vote for GMT increasing by an impressive 50%, but only a worrying 6% rise for BST.

From a, more appropriate, datum BST and GMT are now running neck and neck, and the momentum is definitely with GMT.

18_3.PNG

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
imperial mesurements...
I'm 58 and when I was at primary school in the late 1960s / early 1970s even then we were all taught currency, weights and measures in decimal/metric.

Personally I can go from the old imperial measures to the "new" measures without too much difficulty. I can still remember that there are 22 yards in a chain, 8 chains in furlong, 8 furlongs in a mile, 240 d (old pennies) in a pound, 12d in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound etc., but why would I possibly want to? And nobody much younger than me is going to have any familiarity with imperial measures.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back