• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

British tree roots ok?

Hi all. I have a queery about wood for my aquarium. Been gardening this weekend and cut down quite a large bush that was blocking light from my living room. Trimmed it all down to fit in sacks for the tip and found the twigs and small branches to be quite similar to finger wood. After a bit of research they turned out to be Elderberry bushes. If i dried these out would they be ok to use in the aquarium. I hope they are as they will save me a fortune. Cheers. Chris.

Hi all,
After a bit of research they turned out to be Elderberry bushes......If i dried these out would they be ok to use in the aquarium
You can only use the very hard dense wood from the base of the stems, and even then because the plant was growing you'll need to store them for a while.

Have a look at <"Rootey wood">

The problem with Elder is that the new stems are <"very soft and pithy">, and contain a lot of green wood that will decompose readily, they are also unpalatable and possibly poisonous. As the bush gets older the wood gets harder and denser.

cheers Darrel

Just had a read of that, looks like i will have to do a bit of o/t after all to pay for the wood for the tank. I will keep the elder wood and see how it dries out over the next few months. Thanks Darrel for the info.

Back