• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Broken filter

simon Coram

Cleaning one off my filters a fluval 304 yesterday the ceramic impeller shaft broke in two. Honestly gov it just snapped. The filter has done well it's date stamp is 03/2005. I've got a new shaft coming it should be tomorrow or Friday fingers crossed.
Will the filter be ok not running for a few days or will it be better to clean all the media would the bacteria have died and cause some bio shock load to the tank when I start it back up. It's a secondary filter on the tank.

I had a power trip once whilst away (neutral fault at substation) and tank was left for 3 days odd without power. Tank temp dropped to 18'C. Once power was restored all OK.

Can you not transfer your media or part to a smaller filter,internal,box?just to keep it going?I have read somewhere I think about rinsing the media in tank water slightly placing in airtight plastic bag and keeping in darkness makes it keep retaining bacteria longer than the thought of 6 hours and then degrades.Unsure of what happened in your case Ian wonder if it's a mature tank with plenty of bacteria on plants,hardscape etc,?PFK has discussed this before if you can search the articles related to filter failure,power cuts

Hi all,
and tank was left for 3 days odd without power. Tank temp dropped to 18'C. Once power was restored all OK.
I've done the same, but it depends upon the amount of biofilm in the canister, and particularly its oxygen demand.

My suggestion is to just tip the water out of the filter (you can leave a very small amount in the bottom), disconnect the hoses and make sure the taps are open (so that air can flow in and out of the canister).
Can you not transfer your media or part to a smaller filter,internal,box?just to keep it going?
I've done this as well, in fact you can just put it in the tank if you haven't got a filter.
have read somewhere I think about rinsing the media in tank water slightly placing in airtight plastic bag and keeping in darkness makes it keep retaining bacteria longer than the thought of 6 hours and then degrades
Darkness is good, air tight isn't, and yes six hours is a myth.
PFK has discussed this before
The PFK article was linked in <"How long can a filter survive...">, but I can't find it at PFK now.

You just have to keep the filter bacteria (and filter archaea) damp and oxygenated. They can then stay in a "resting" state for a considerable time period, I don't know how long, but months would be my suspicion.

Oxygen is the thing that matters, not ammonia, the microbial assemblage will change over time without ammonia addition, but it will quickly respond to the renewed availability of ammonia once the filter is up and running.

A resource like fixed nitrogen is always likely to be patchy in terms of its availability in natural ecosystems, it doesn't make any evolutionairy sense for organisms to require a constant flow, it is always going to be "boom and bust".

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel for the post just after mine,makes perfect logic to allow oxygen in to the bag and not seal it ,I think I misread the article on that

Thanks I've drained most off the water out pipes disconnected. Will give it another rinse with tank water when it turns up. Fingers crossed tomorrow.

Back