• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown Algae Back

Tom72

After struggling for 3 years with a set up which was plagued with problems, back in February I decided to move the tank and overhaul it. I was able to do the move in a weekend, new substrate, Dennerle aqua soil, rescaped using trimmed existing plants and chucked everything else away. I also installed a UV steriliser. It has been brilliantly successful and looks great, but now I am seeing a few of the old issues, a little BBA on the wood (not a major issue as scrapes off easily).
But the brown algae is back. It has not gone crazy so I am hoping the following steps will meet with UKAPS approval and maybe some extra tips might be given.
1. Trimmed/pulled/scraped as much of the effected leaves as possible.
2. Cleaned the filter, it was pretty caked up with sludge in the filter wool and sponges so a good wash and new wool.
3. Big water change as per normal in the weekly maintenance.
And that’s it. I don’t want to use any Algexit or similar products as my dwarf Cory’s hate it and I want to solve it naturally. I also recently stopped liquid CO2, and continued with in-line and dosing of ferts. I stopped liquid CO2 on recommendation by George Farmer, I rate his opinion as when I follow it things seem to work better.
It might also be down to the longer summer days the tank is exposed to as it is worse at the front where it receives more natural day light. I have thought of upping the inline CO2.
I think what will really help is some snails, I had bought some nerite snails from Horizon Aquatics ( great shop and can’t wait for my next visit) but they all died, I did everything correct and my water is tiptop condition. So if any one can recommend some less sensitive snails that would be great. I can’t use shrimp as they will be eaten.
Fingers crossed Ihave done enough.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Cleaned the filter, it was pretty caked up with sludge in the filter wool and sponges so a good wash and new wool.
Just don't use filter wool (or fine sponges, finer than 30 PPI). Personally I don't like any <"mechanical filtration inside the filter">.

If people want "gin clear" water that is fine, but they have to trade very frequent opening of the canister and changing of the filter floss.

cheers Darrel

Back