• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown and Black Algae

Tommy

Hi everyone, I have started to notice black algae blobs on my anubias leaves, I rubbed it off but its coming back, on some of the anubias there is a film of brown algae, this is also showing up on the wood. I intened to put some ottos in my tank will these eat this kind of algae? Thanks :)

The brown algae might be diatoms, some fish seem to feed of it but it's barely a remedi.. It usualy goes away on its own after a while, weeks in high energy or months in low energy. :) The black one is a tad more difficult, on the slow growing Anubias leaves or roots is usualy an indication of to much light above the tank or placing the plant in the wrong location. Very few fish eat it, the ones that reportedly do are to big for tanks smaller than 250 litres.

Search the forum for BBA and you'll find dozens of threads discussing the remedies.. :)

Hi zozo the anubia with the black spots is close to the top of the tank so maybe like you say its getting too much light. I will just keep rubbing it off for now and I think I might increase water changes, I do a 50-60% weekly change already might do a smaller one during the week as well. :)

Back