• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

brown diatom algae problem

blueacara3

I set up my new tank in March but now I have this algae covering hardscape and plants.I have read all I can on this but everyone has different answers -too much light too little light etc.etc.any suggestions most welcome

Welcome to the UKaps!

I set up my new tank in March but now I have this algae covering hardscape and plants.I have read all I can on this but everyone has different answers -too much light too little light etc.etc.any suggestions most welcome
Hi @blueacara3 We need to know more about your setup in order to provide good suggestions - a picture of your tank will be extra helpful. In general, large frequent water changes to get rid of waste buildup, algae spores etc. will help, and so will reducing light intensity, improving flow and providing a consistent dosing of essential fertilizers. Lots of plants helps too. Diatoms will usually go away in a new tank as it matures, but since your tank is now some 6 months old its obviously struggling to get there.

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Welcome to the UKaps!

@blueacara3 We need to know more about your setup in order to provide good suggestions
Like the two above posters suggest, the more information you provide, the better the resulting advice will be.
I have read all I can on this but everyone has different answers
You'll get differing answers here too, hopefully you'll be guided through it and will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Welcome to ukaps 😀

Back