• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown dots/marks on Anubias?

Emyr

70L
Dosing Flourish trace, Iron and Excel (until they run out) once a week. Then ordering the 2 new tropica ferts.
15W LED bar (equivalent to 24W) directly above the tank reduced to 80%.
Eheim ecco pro 130

I recently set this tank up to grow some anubias and house some of my older fish. As you can see there seems to be a slight deficiency in my anubias. Maybe the light intensity is to much and I need to be dosing more. Some of them are healthy but others have these brown spots and patches. Any advice? Thanks.

scaled.php?server=594&filename=photodfl.jpg

scaled.php?server=811&filename=photo4dk.jpg

Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do abut this. Anubias grow so slowly that they will always get a bit of algae on them. All you can do really is scrub them every so often. You can prevent it by planting them in a more shaded area of the tank, as they can't use all of the light in a bright area as hey are such slow growers.

The yellow patches, I think, suggest a nutrient deficiency - if I'm correct, then that leaves them more prone to algae than a healthy plant.

Thanks for your responses

Matty1983 said:
Anubias grow so slowly that they will always get a bit of algae on them. All you can do really is scrub them every so often. You can prevent it by planting them in a more shaded area of the tank, as they can't use all of the light in a bright area as hey are such slow growers.

I thought that might be the case as when I rubbed the leaves a lot of the brown stuff came off. I think I am also going to reduce the light intensity further to maybe 60% and/or purchase some floating plants as I quite like the look of one of them.

nry said:
The yellow patches, I think, suggest a nutrient deficiency - if I'm correct, then that leaves them more prone to algae than a healthy plant.

I think your right, they do seem to be showing a slight deficiency. By reducing the light that should help and I am also going to dose more often.

I seem to also have a green water problem at the moment as well, any suggestions for this?

Back