Brown fluffy algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Patrick Crowley, 8 Jan 2020.

1. Patrick Crowley

Patrick Crowley Member

I have new high tech planted tank, not surprisingly diatoms appeared after 3 or 4 weeks.

Tank is a 30cm cube, with a 6 hour photo period, pressurised CO2.

I seem to have 2 types, the usual brown ‘dust’ on rocks and other hard surfaces. I added ottos and amano shrimp that cleared that up almost over night. But I’m left with a brown fluffy algae at the substrate level, choking my HC cuba carpet and dwarf hair grass.

[​IMG]

The clean up crew don’t touch this, so I’m physically trying to remove it. But this means I’m just pulling up the HC Cuba that is trying to get established. I’m cleaning the canister filter weekly and doing 30%-40% water changes twice weekly. I’m now at about 8 or 9 weeks and no improvement is seen.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: 19 Jan 2020
  2. Aquarium hope

Aquarium hope Newly Registered

Can't you siphon it off without affecting the plants? Usually brown diatoms only really attach lightly to plants as a kind of film and can be sucked off using a siphon.

Patrick Crowley and PARAGUAY like this.
  3. PARAGUAY

PARAGUAY Member

On robust plants wind a small toothbrush around any algae then siphon in this case ,carpet,use tweezers yto lightly wind and then syphon again carefully from slightly farther above so as not to disturb

Patrick Crowley likes this.
  4. Patrick Crowley

Patrick Crowley Member

I found the siphon used to suck up the Cuba plantlet straight out of the substrate

Spot on . I learnt through trial and error that a toothbrush was no good on the carpet, a tweezers pinched together and then wound in a circle motion did really well.

So this mechanical removal, plus reducing light to 50% and adding a couple more amanos has really improved things. Things are looking much better

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice.

dw1305 likes this.
  5. Aquarium hope

Aquarium hope Newly Registered

Use a small tube (I use 12/16 tubing) to do the carpet. It has less suction power and will allow you to suck up dirt underneath the HC carpet in the future.

6. sparkyweasel

sparkyweasel Member

You can also slow the flow of your syphon by raising the outlet end, or with a finger over the end to restrict the flow.

7. Patrick Crowley

Patrick Crowley Member

Thanks for tips guys, I’ll certainly try them