• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brownish leaves

Bhavik

I need help not sure why some of the leaves are brownish but some are quite green and normal

not sure what’s causing it or how to get rid of it

Attachments

• 5681831C-0BA0-4C1D-856C-1C1EBA4EF637.jpeg
    5681831C-0BA0-4C1D-856C-1C1EBA4EF637.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 257
  • 6801F9C4-2F2E-466B-B611-1C605BC4F0C5.jpeg
    6801F9C4-2F2E-466B-B611-1C605BC4F0C5.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 139
  • 448CEB6F-014F-4B7C-876B-4E31690AF2E9.jpeg
    448CEB6F-014F-4B7C-876B-4E31690AF2E9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 128
  • A7A662F3-40FF-4908-B979-4924529C5CFF.jpeg
    A7A662F3-40FF-4908-B979-4924529C5CFF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 127
Could you provide some specs of your tank? It looks like too much light, inadequate flow and not enough plants.

It’s a 55L tank
Low tech tank with fluval 25 watt aqua sky running from 2-11 it’s on low intensity 2-3 button presses
I did have a filter running with a spray to help with flow but I only just recently turned that off as it was too strong for the fish however this browning was occurring during that time too

So I just did a water change and it basically comes of the leaves if I rub it

Not sure what it is and why it is occurring but how do I get rid of it?

thanks

It looks like diatoms.
How long has the tank been set up?
They are quite common in the early weeks on a new tank. They often die out sfter a while. Water changes and general good maintenance will help.How often go you clean your filter? How often and how big are your water changes?
Also try rubbing the leaves before a water change and syphoning off the dislodged diatoms.
More plants would help to establish a good balance.
If you're planning to have Amano shrimps or Otocinclus they will help by eating diatoms.

The tank has been set up for quite a while now I would said 5-6 months maybe more
If that is the case why am I starting to get it now?
Is there anything else I can do to ge rid of it?
I just cleaned my filter today there wasn’t much crap that came out of it, it’s only a sponge filter.

Sorry to say that but the tank seems short of neglected. The lowered water level and the limescale marks indicate there has not been a water change in a while and I see a lot of mulm on the sponge filter. Do you feed heavily? How is the tank stocked? I see a black fish but I cannot make out what it is.

I used to have this type of algae when I stocked an 80 liter tank with two common goldfish.

Anyways a good deep substrate cleanings, a big water change and some quick growing plants should help.

Maintenance is the key to a stable aquarium especially when it is not heavily planted like in your case.

The lowered water level and limescale is due to the tank having no lid so the water evaporates quite quickly.

i have cleared both sponges after the water change
As for feed I do it every other day as there is only one jewel cichlids in the tank

I do quite large water changes say about 80% every time I do one
How many more plants should I be adding?

I have never kept Jewel chiclids but I think they get quite big and require bigger tanks. As in my case when I had the goldfish the organics were too high and without proper filtration it is difficult to keep the tank stable.

In case you can add plants without worrying that your fish will uproot/ eat them I suggest you get as much as possible. Some floating plants would definitely help on reducing the amount of light and absorbing the nutrients.

Try some Ceratophylum Demersum, Lemna minor and Limnobium Laevigatum.

The more plants the better, but three or four bunches would be a considerable help, especially of fast-growing stem plants, such as Elodea, Hygrophila, Hornwort etc, or Indian Fern.
Jewel Cichlids are quite big, and messy eaters. Also can be very intolerant of tankmates, so shrimps and otos are out of the question. Some snails might help with the uneaten food debris that cichlids tend to leave. Possibly Malaysian Burrowing Snails, as your Jewel is less likely to kill them compared to some others.

Back