• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BT Internet Connection Problems

jaypeecee

Hi Everyone,

For the last eight days, my home neighbours and I have been experiencing anything from intermittent to total loss of internet connection when using BT Internet. I'm in Bracknell but reports have indicated that this problem is much more widespread - at one point, everything from London to Cardiff! I have been provided with a BT Mini Hub, which replaces the normal Hub/Router. But, the connection at times is unreliable. Is anyone else experiencing BT Internet Connection Problems? My understanding from BT is that this is planned maintenance. There is no clear indication from BT about an end date for this maintenance work. Some of my neighbours have no internet access as they do not have a BT Mini Hub. I have one as I paid for this privilege when last updating my contract.

JPC

Check your contract and get a better deal with another provider. I believe BT lines services are" hired out " to other providers obviously passing the costs to customers.

Almost forgot after a period of no services the company has to pay compensation daily after so many days but because BT are who they are they probably couldn't care less

Hi @PARAGUAY

Check your contract and get a better deal with another provider. I believe BT lines services are" hired out " to other providers obviously passing the costs to customers.
Almost forgot after a period of no services the company has to pay compensation daily after so many days but because BT are who they are they probably couldn't care less

Thanks a lot for your replies. I will check my contract tomorrow and take legal advice, if necessary. I can well do without this!

JPC

I am with BT and I have not experienced any issues so far, working from home would be a nightmare without reliable internet.

I did however dump their crap BT Hub Router, that was very unstable and also force IPv6 on me when I did not want that.

I don't use their routers anymore for the last 10 years, mine own router failed a couple months back and I had to dig out the BT HomeHub from the cupboard for a couple of weeks and that was a pain. Their routers are really crap!

I don't use their routers anymore for the last 10 years, mine own router failed a couple months back and I had to dig out the BT HomeHub from the cupboard for a couple of weeks and that was a pain. Their routers are really crap!
Same with BT here, don't use their router. I use a Draytek 2762 with a Draytek WiFi repeater, work 100%. Generally in my experience intermittent connectivity issues are due to cabling issues either in your house or in the road.

I rewired the phone connection in my house so that the incoming cable goes straight to a filter that splits voice and data into separate cables, that dramatically improved connectivity.

Hi Everyone,

For the last eight days, my home neighbours and I have been experiencing anything from intermittent to total loss of internet connection when using BT Internet. I'm in Bracknell but reports have indicated that this problem is much more widespread - at one point, everything from London to Cardiff! I have been provided with a BT Mini Hub, which replaces the normal Hub/Router. But, the connection at times is unreliable. Is anyone else experiencing BT Internet Connection Problems? My understanding from BT is that this is planned maintenance. There is no clear indication from BT about an end date for this maintenance work. Some of my neighbours have no internet access as they do not have a BT Mini Hub. I have one as I paid for this privilege when last updating my contract.

JPC

I work for Waitrose head office in Bracknell and our BT phones have done the same. Must be an area issue

Hope this helps

Chris

I work for Waitrose head office in Bracknell and our BT phones have done the same. Must be an area issue
Hi @Chrispowell

Many thanks for your reply. Is Internet access also down at Waitrose? BT Information online is saying that this was planned engineering work. But, from what I can establish, BT failed to let their customers know before work commenced! Diabolical service. And, it's not just Bracknell that's affected. Take a look at this:

JPC

Hi,

No Internet is un affected but phone lines were down. We had no heads up either only knew when the phones couldn't ring in or out.

Same with BT here, don't use their router. I use a Draytek 2762 with a Draytek WiFi repeater, work 100%.
I have been using Ubiquity Unify router, switches, and APs for a long time and just upgraded to a Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro, what an excellent piece of kit this is :)

My home network topology:
Screenshot 2022-07-21 205754.png

I have been using Ubiquity Unify router, switches, and APs for a long time and just upgraded to a Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro, what an excellent piece of kit this is
Hi @LondonDragon

I have never had problems with any of the BT Modem/Routers. But, I suspect that your requirements are more demanding than mine. However, in this current BT saga, the problems that many of us are witnessing are probably related to BT's infrastructure - including optical fibre rollout.

JPC

in this current BT saga, the problems that many of us are witnessing are probably related to BT's infrastructure
They are going on strike soon also, so that will make things even more interesting!

They are going on strike soon also, so that will make things even more interesting!
Hi @LondonDragon

Yikes! Is it BT or OpenReach or who specifically at BT are going on strike? Where can I read more about this? This situation seems to go from bad to worse. And I didn't think that was possible! Will it affect UKAPS availability?

Thanks for letting me/us know.

JPC

Back