• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bubble Counter Help

Bobtastic

Hi all,

I have the blow bubble counter that I got with the Co2 system that I bought from TGM and I seem to be having trouble keeping enough liquid in the counter...
IPA-COD.JPG

I believe that I have the system setup correctly (below), with everything in the right place but could do with some clarification/advice.

co2system.jpg

But I seem to be losing all the water out of the bubble counter... Can anyone suggest a cause and indeed a solution?

Attachments

• co2system.jpg
    co2system.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 56
When the pressure in the line drops the water falls back till the check valve stops it.

When co2 kicks in the line is low pressure and rapid bubbling can force water from counter up and push through diffuser.

It's a lose lose situation. Had to top mine up last night. Some water stays in co2 tube as droplets.

I had the same problem with these bubble counters. I now use the really simple plastic ones...

0180000311.jpg

Sure they don't look as nice but they work.

I should of said I'm only 3 weeks into using pressurized co2 and sharing my experience.

I find check valves are slow to respond so if a better quality check valve is available then it would help. I recall reading about a 2nd check valve between bubble counter and diffuser which may help, but I have not tried this myself.

Hi Bob.
Bobtastic said:
Could you recommend an alternative that is less likely to suffer from this problem?
As you're using the AM1000, do yourself a favour and dump the bubble counter altogether.
Connect the pipe from your non return valve straight into the AM1000 :D
You can count the bubbles coming out of the pipe in the bottom of the reactor. Job done.
Just be aware that these bubbles are bigger than the one's you're used to seeing in those tiddly little bubble counters, so you will have to be careful that you don't gas your fish to start with.
Mines been running like this for 18 months and no problems to report. Just make sure you have a decent non return valve.
I only changed to this method because I had exactly the same problem you're having :D

I have the same style bubble counter as you and I use glucose in it instead of water. You can buy a little pot from tesco in the baking section.
You need to warm it up in hot water so its thinner then use a syringe to inject it into the bubble counter.

So far its been 3 weeks and I'm yet to top the bubble counter up.

Its also easier to count the bubbles as it slows everything down !

Back