• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bubble counters... Who uses them???? [POLL]

Do you use your bubble counter?

• Yes its impossible with out it

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes as stream of bubbles, faster stream of bubbles. shaken up lemonade bottle!!

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • No there pointless i just adjust slowly until right over a few days

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Behold

I have a bubble counter but is completly useless to me as its passing so much CO2 its nigh impossible to count......

I now just use it as a how fast is the stream of bubble are when adjusting.

whats a beetle counter?

i have never bothered with Bubble counters, i have a nice glass one but cant figure out how to use it, do you have to put water in it or something?

Dont use them as they are next to useless on my 4ft due to the bubble rate needed! I have however added one to my yeast system on my 60lt to 'catch' the white fungus type growth you often get and also any overspill that might happen due to the yeast over reacting.

Don't think I'll ever use them on a pressurised system, keep it simple is my motto :)

Sam

Nick16 said:
whats a beetle counter? ?

Dazs version here - http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics....s set A/-/Dazs CO2 Set - Beetle Counter Set A

ADA version
ADA said:
It is a CO2 bubble counter for large size aquariums requiring a large CO2 supply. It has a practical and playful design, and the bubbles can be easily counted as CO2 rises in a spiral. It is designed to be used with Pollen Glass Large or Pollen Glass Beetle.
27_Gazoa.jpg

My big tank has one - but my little tank does not, my little tank has a cup type diffuser which half full of co2 & tank water so i counter the bubbles when they enter the diffuser.
Paul.

stuworrall said:
Nick16 said:
whats a beetle counter? ?

Dazs version here - http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics....s set A/-/Dazs CO2 Set - Beetle Counter Set A

ADA version
ADA said:
It is a CO2 bubble counter for large size aquariums requiring a large CO2 supply. It has a practical and playful design, and the bubbles can be easily counted as CO2 rises in a spiral. It is designed to be used with Pollen Glass Large or Pollen Glass Beetle.

How much!!! for something you look at for 2 seconds!!!

Superman said:
I need it in my nano, but then I'm only doing a bubble every 10 seconds.

That would make sence!!!!

Behold said:
How much!!! for something you look at for 2 seconds!!!

are you on about the ADA one or the Dazs one? And to answer your question i look at mine all day as its stuck to the side of my tank. Its really good at showing up changes in the bubble count when injecting lots of co2 as the spiral effect changes. Ill have to post a video up.

aaronnorth said:
The only reason i have one is to use as a reference when i change my FE over, to make sure it is set at roughly the same as before, apart from that i never use it.
Same here really. My bubble count is way too high to actually count. How people get away with 1 bubble every 3 seconds or whatever amazes me :lol:

When i first started i was on like 15 a min then 30 then 60.... I was seeing no change on colour i thought it was not disolving but i saw nothing to show that...... its now a long stream and more just so i can see i have actually moved the needle!!!

JamesM said:
aaronnorth said:
The only reason i have one is to use as a reference when i change my FE over, to make sure it is set at roughly the same as before, apart from that i never use it.
Same here really. My bubble count is way too high to actually count. How people get away with 1 bubble every 3 seconds or whatever amazes me :lol:
This is my main use of it too. It's just an easy indicator as to how much you're putting in. When you make any adjustments it gives you an instant reading of how much you've changed the CO2 levels by unlike the DC which takes a while to catch up. I don't think I've ever counted mine, it's just more of a 'feels about right' thing.

Useless in my opinion, my bubble rate is so fast I would have to record it and play it back in slow motion to count it.
Drop checker in the tank is enough to measure the CO2 levels, you would need one even with a bubble counter anyway.

I have never really seen the need for dedicated bubble counters. If I use a ceramic diffuser I can see the bubbles going through the stem.

My reactor has a built in bubble counter, but the rate is way too fast to count them.

Dave.

Advice from TGM was not to bother with a bubble counter on my system - I've got an Aqua Medic reactor and am advised I'll be able to gauge the rate from that. Still not actually got the system going though, so it's interesting to see how many others don't use a bubble counter.

paul.in.kendal said:
Advice from TGM was not to bother with a bubble counter on my system - I've got an Aqua Medic reactor and am advised I'll be able to gauge the rate from that. Still not actually got the system going though, so it's interesting to see how many others don't use a bubble counter.

I now use an AM reactor and you can see the counter thats built in but its pointless.... Im now on if its too green/yellow then i just adjust it. my needle valve is very acurate.

ive got them on all my tanks, mainly becuase i can then see what gas is going in and i noice any changes straight away plus its easier to see when youve run out! However I dont have any external reactors that are hidden in cuboards as im using glass diffusers.

Back