• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buce Drift - now 11 buce varieties strong

Thanks Steve

Upped the lighting again slightly by added an extra hour at 20% and extended the ramp down to 6pm till 8pm at 5%

Noticed a few shrimp which can only be a few weeks old so hopefully means they are breeding since the move into this tank, had around 6 shrimp deaths since moving but all seemed to be fairly old so probably struggle to adapt more, plus they've never been in with fish before so possibly shock

20190114_192407-756x1008.jpg
20190114_192636-756x1008.jpg

Doesn't look like it but there around 50 here at a rough count
20190114_195014-756x1008.jpg

Just realised i haven't updated this in a couple of weeks, will put a pic or 2 up tonight.

General tank stats at present:

Full EI dosing
CO2 @ 3-4bps (lime green at lights on)
LC (Excel) - 2ml daily
Lighting period = 1pm till 4pm @ 25%, 4pm till 6pm @ 15% then a ramp down over 3 hours with lights off @ 9pm
Eheim Pro 4 350t set at 100%
Temp is 22deg

15 CPD's,15 green neons, 4 ottos and a squad of breeding cherry shrimp (50+)

Very impressed with purigen, since adding a couple of bags water is crystal clear

Fitted a frosted background but it's more white than transparent, will see what it's like during the day but more than likely will come back off tomorrow

LED sunrise/sunset light fitted, need to move up so it's brighter

View attachment 120687 View attachment 120689
Were do you put the bags of purigen? In the filter? How long do they last? Do you need them in the tank all the time?

Cheers lee

Were do you put the bags of purigen? In the filter? How long do they last? Do you need them in the tank all the time?

Cheers lee

Yup in the filter like any other media, for me that's the last thing it goes through before water comes back into the tank, lasts indefinitely as far as I know as you can refresh it by cleaning with bleach

You don't NEED purigen ever, I only use it for that extra bit of water clarity but it's a luxury item not a necessity

So I noticed my first bit of algae in this tank, the dreaded BBA. CO2 is maxed out for the tolerance of the fish so the only change is upping the lighting to 25% for the past week or so, tank has very good flow and its in the highest flow area, water changes are down to once a week so CO2 isn't fluctuating because of that

So lights are back down to 20% for 3 hours, 15% for 2 hours then a slow ramp down to zero over 3 hours

Possible I've maxed out lighting for plant mass already at just 20-25%? Dropping the lighting might answer that so will see how it responds

20190202_100322.jpg
20190202_100300.jpg
20190202_100355.jpg

Unfortunately found this guy in the drop checker last night, was one of my oldest green neons (year and a half old) and must have been a mission to get into here

20190213_214132-756x1008.jpg

That's an very sad way to leave planet earth.:facepalm::(

Btw,I was wondering why do you put that drop checker so deep in the tank?

Tank is looking nice, simple but great use and placement of the Wood. I would love to see some giant hairgrass behind it.

Yeh it's a wee shame and he would have been stuck in the bromo blue liquid for god knows how long

I put the drop checker low as I find it the hardest place to get a good concentration of CO2. I've set my bps to align with it at this level so I know the water above will only ever be a higher concentration and i don't get a false high reading if it was sitting high in the tank (my thinking at least). Plus most of my plants started out as in-vitro so are low level and it gives me a good indication if the CO2 gets to them

Thanks mate. I've got cyperus helferi back left/mid but it's been a slow grower (on purpose) so it's yet to peak over the wood but hopefully will in time

BBA is appearing where there's daylight hitting the tank and at the top nearest the surface, lights are only at 20% but I might shorten the period as I'm dosing EI, CO2 maxed out and its in a good flow area as usual with it, I'm going to clean the filter again but not sure what else I can do other than spot dose for it to come back

Good news is the pinnatifida is growing well and nearing on its first trim, cyperus is growing slowly but doing well, buces are doing great

Added 11 pure white line shrimp in 2 days ago and seem to be settling well but a bit shy from the fish so far, no deaths which I'm happy with as they were posted not collected

20190214_194527.jpg
20190214_194554.jpg
20190214_194618.jpg

PWL shrimp have settled in well with no loses, also culled a few of my herries and introduced 10 new ones to keep a variation in the blood line going

Also added 7 habrosus corys but unfortunately 1 passed on the first 24 hours so down to 6 who seem to be having a great time and have brought the ottos out of their shell and are more active which was the plan

Also.... More buces on the way, no idea where I'll put them but I'll find a place, this is beginning to be a bit of an obsession :lol:

20190220_082206.jpg
20190220_082313.jpg

Habrosus are awesome corys, love mine too, how big are yours?

Can't get too much buces :D:thumbup:

I've been after them for months as my LFS was struggling to get any from their supplier over in Europe but finally got them in, amazing wee hyper and confident fish and they seem to have brought the rest of the fish out of their shell with their dive bombing antics, mine are around 1.5cm max or about 1cm body

My new buce order consists of:

Mini Lamandau Purple
Super Red
Mini Coin
Mini Cherry
Spec Brownie

To compliment my current list of:

Deep Purple
Lamandau Mini Red
Lamandau Red
Mini Needle Leaf
Braun Rot/Serimbu

I think a tank reshuffle is in order so I can keep track of it all as it grows out

Last edited:
Also started my first dose of Rhizotonic today, just 8ml weekly at least initially

20190220_195522.jpg

Back