• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buce Maintenance

jameson_uk

Any advice on keep buce in shape?

I have some in my Betta tank which is doing OK but the rhizome on the Wavy Green always seems to want to grow like a stem and grow upwards rather than along a surface.

I did see a thread about being wary of trimming the roots and as you can see the plants seem to have developed quite a root structure.

Should I cut the rhizome and attach it to the wood and stone (again)? Rhizomes only grow one way right? If so when cutting do I need to concern myself or just cut and treat as two plants?
6e25cf3d50fa64f59f6feb2965df61b9.jpg
1d7dd9889f0e72aaa80676f1090b47fa.jpg
c6377cd05a090f218f25a8dd48a83623.jpg
ee150c67e48beb6d71b1944b59d96548.jpg

You could separate them and pin them flat along the length of the rhizome against the substrate they are attached to, they will start shifting leaves around due to phototropism changing to looking like they are creeping, additional plantlets may side shoot from the rhizome like this but they will always want to grow upwards as the flow in the tank will not be enough to push them down against the substrate like out in the wild with spate river conditions. Just keep pinning down the new growth where you can. Leave the roots well alone (you can pin them down) don’t cut them as the plant has expended a lot of energy growing them almost as much as it has growing leaves, anytime I see major root loss the plant suffers a while and if unlucky the rhizome follows not long after.

Back